MediaCenter Choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fh2level, Apr 14, 2006.

1. fh2level macrumors regular

fh2level

Looking into a MediaCenter because I want to have more control over my stuff than Tivo allows. What are some suggestions?

Mac Mini (duo or single?) w/ bootcamp and Windows Media Center Edition?
    (edit: I guess I would also have to buy something expensive like EyeTV as well for the mini wouldn't I?)
    or
    Mac Mini w/ some kind of mac software that acts like Windows Media Center that I don't know about?
    or
    Shuttle, Dell, etc... with Windows Media Center (about same price as mini)?

any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm a huge TiVo fan. What do you want to do that TiVo doesn't allow? If you are pretty tech-savy, then hacking a TiVo may be for you. It is very easy.

3. fh2level thread starter macrumors regular

fh2level

I was actually thinking about just hacking my Tivo as well it might be fun and cheaper anyways since Tivo is only 12 bucks a month.
    I only have the 40hour Tivo and its a little slow streaming to review the video that I have downloaded from the Tivo to my computer for keeping. I don't know you might have just answered my question for me. I hear there are a lot of neat things you can do with a hacked Tivo like caller ID, change the HD size, Change the file save format.
    The biggest thing is just all the hasle you have to go through to get my files onto my iPod, then again just actually buying a program that is made for that would be cheaper i guess than an actual media center lol :)

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I had the 40 hour TiVo. I put in a 120 Gig hard drive. I also hacked the kernel so shows would record unencrypted. Next I set it up so TiVo Tool can download my shows to my Mac.

5. fh2level thread starter macrumors regular

fh2level

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, I just saw this on tuaw.com today:
    http://homepage.mac.com/chamady/MacMiniReview/