Mediacentral

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furryrabidbunny, Mar 25, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I found a few threads about this... but nothing was really discussed to any real extent. Has anyone had any major problems with using this free media center program? I was reading on macupdate that one build destroyed peoples application folders and a few other files, any bad stories from people here, or is it safe to use again? Heres the link for those that want something like front row http://www.equinux.com/us/products/mediacentral/index.html I must confess that I tried it and liked it. I'll use it for music mostly, only thing I dont like is the inability to shuffle songs on playlists, other than that it seems like it is strong.

2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I also downloaded this software a week ago. Used it for only once. Didnt like it much. But the biggest annoyance is that it asks for an upgrade every time i turn on my iBook. Once is ok but why again n again. That`s so windowish. I`ll uninstall it today only.

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

It has a preference pane in which you can have it not check for updates. Dont know where exactly (uninstalled after I heard about the data loss complants) but it's there.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I was excited about media central till I used it.

Why is the album art displayed so small?

Why is the font and little progress bars so generic and stale looking?

I know it's freeware, but it seems like it was just thrown together without any thought towards looks.

5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Well I know that. But that was not the problem. The thing is that It asks for an upgrade when the iBook is started. Not when I personally open it. So thats what very annoying.

6. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

O... didn't know that... I think the developers problem have it in their head that something like this is going to become an integral part of ones system, hense the universal startup keystroke and the checking for updates on startup (very OS like). About the display, I feel the same way. I really dont need the art as small as possible, and a giant progress bar. Thing I dont understand the most is that the next for the "next song" thing is larger than the current track? Seems like it should be reversed. I wish there was a way to suggest things to the developers, but they probably have a "it's free" attitude about it.

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I think that's pretty cool actually. It needs a ton of work, but I'll keep it and follow along with the updates and see if they fix problems - e.g. artwork being uncentered, not being able to read the title of songs because it's so damn big, iphoto only showing albums, not everything.

Good start though.

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Eh, it just locked up my iBook. It definetely needs a ******** of work, but a free and legal front-row type software would be good for us that don't/can't have front row.

9. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

It certainly is a cool program, but like you said it needs work, but it seems like small things just need to be worked out. My greatest concern is on the file deletion people on macupdate were talking about... hopefully that rarely happens, or even better, been worked out. But yes, a free and technically better front row type program is great. It plays video_ts folders (something front row wont) and does dvr type stuff. I didn't try out the webtv, refuse to put realplayer on my computer, but I'm interested to know how that works