MediaFork 0.8.0 Released.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by baggss, Feb 11, 2007.

1. baggss macrumors newbie

baggss

MediaFork is a new follow on Application to HandBrake. SInce HandBrake development has stalled a new group of developers has picked up the code base and moved foreword. MF supports the 640x480 Baseline 3 video for the 5th Gen iPod.

MediaFork can be found here:

http://mediafork.dynalias.com/blog/

MediaFork Forums are here:

http://mediafork.dynalias.com/forum/index.php

From the MF site:

MediaFork is a GPL’d, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter, available for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows. It is based on the source code to HandBrake, written by Eric Petit and Laurent Aimar.

New in this release:

Updated libraries (meaning better quality, hopefully fewer bugs, and increased speeds)
    iPod 5.5G support
    Revamped graphical interface (Mac OS X)
    Anamorphic encoding with pixel aspect ratio
    Brighter color reproduction in QuickTime
    Lists disks by DVD name instead of by drive name (Mac OS X)
    Titles output movies based on the DVD name (Mac OS X)
    32Khz audio output
    Constant rate factor encoding with x264
    New preference item to turn deinterlacing on by default (Mac OS X)
    New preference item to select the default audio language (Mac OS X)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Looks like an impressive first release... are people using Instant Handbrake planning on dumping it for MediaFork? I kind of like the simplified interface of IH.

3. baggss thread starter macrumors newbie

baggss

I believe the download comes with an updated Instant MediaFork as a replacement for Instant Handbrake.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

This is great news, was starting to get worried about handbrake, oneof my fav apps, just downloaded after reading the article on tuaw, ill have to give it a go and see how it runs, ill let ya all know

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Anyone tried this yet? I haven't had a chance to dl but I'd love to hear reports about it.

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Ok just to answer my own question, I downloaded and installed this last night and ripped a few DVDs from my collection. This program is what I have been looking for for so long! I highly recommend it. Much easier than Mactheripper/handbrake. And the price is right.

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

It seems about 10% faster at encoding from a video_ts folder on my hd than Handbrake was. I haven't loaded anything on my iPod yet, but once I do I'll let you know.

It is far simpler to use :)

Edit: Tried it on an iPod and it works a dream - no more iSquint* to convert it into a format that plays on the iPod.:D :D :D

* Although iSquint still has its uses

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

So what's the difference between this and Handbrake? :confused:

9. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Faster
    Simpler interface
    Encode directly for iPod

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Mediafork supports the new H.264 LC profile for resolutions up to 640x480@1500kbps, making ideal for the 5.5gen iPod and the Apple TV.

It is also very fast. On my Macbook Pro the speed increase was dramatic. A DVD rip lasts about 80 to 90 minutes. Other programs almost need double the time (using the same encoder)....

11. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

12. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

This /is/ Handbrake, just the next version of it, maintained by a different person. The original maintainer of Handbrake seems to have disappeared into the void (for now anyways), so they decided to continue development without him.

13. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Get the download from MacUpdate. The links posted are a little fishy (or very old).

14. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Not as fast as I first thought.

Okay, I had some time on my hands, so I did a few time trials. Contrary to my first impression, MediaFork is slightly slower than Handbrake. Here are the results of the time trials done on a 2.0 CD MacBook with 1.25Gigs ram.

Handbrake Times
    Movie time 40:59 Average 1000kbps resized to 640x352, h.264, single pass encoding, deinterlacing off.

From DVD
    Handbrake - (x264-Baseline) time 39mins, file size 330.3MB, avg framerate approx 26
    Mediafork - (x264 (iPod)) time 41mins, file size 330MB, avg framerate approx 25

From HD
    Handbrake - (x264-Baseline) time 38mins, file size 330.3MB, avg framerate approx 27
    Mediafork - (x264 (iPod)) time 41mins, file size 330MB, avg framerate approx 25

Interestingly it was no faster going from the HD than directly from dvd. It still has the huge bonus for iPod users that it doesn't need to go through iSquint to be used on an iPod.

15. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i just had a problem with mediafork, it couldnt encode the audio off of a certain dvd, i thought id try it with handbrake and worked fine, so i wont be trashing handbrake just yet.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It seems to be a little slower then Handbrake 0.71. It's nice to see someone progressing on an otherwise dead project though.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I think you should be comparing apples with apples. Handbrake doesnt support the LC profile, so the speed comparison doesnt make any sense.

Please try comparing the DVD to iPod Converter with Mediafork. Both use the LC profile. Comparing them both you will found out that Mediafork is very fast.

18. jconner5 macrumors newbie

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Considering they're entirely different programs with different goals, you can't compare them.

Compare Handbrake to Mediafork. MacTheRipper exists to rip and remove the region encoding off of DVD's. The other two rip and encode to other video formats.

20. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Are you talking about Instant Handbrake? I never liked that - I found it too slow and the file sizes seemed too high for what I want. If you mean the Xilisoft product, that's a commercial product, and not directly comparable with Mediafork as it's not free.

The outcome of my test is that for people who want to encode to iPod MediaFork is better, as although it doesn't encode faster than Handbrake, there is no need to use iSquint. For those that don't encode for iPod it's not so much of a compelling argument.