Medical Testing???

Discussion in 'Community' started by kuyu, Mar 25, 2004.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

About a month ago, I signed up for smallpox testing at my school. They gave me the immunization, I go in once a week for a month, and I get $600 bucks.

Don't laugh, as that money is getting sent to apple in exchange for their "second least expensive bottle of champagne". Seriously, I plan to use the money to buy a G5.

Has anyone here ever participated in medical testing for money. I think I might soon hold the award for "most drastic measures to acquire a G5".

Thoughts???

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Smallpox vaccination clinical trial participation? Yup, you win the contest of most drastic measures to get a G5. Hands down.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for being willing to participate in such a study. It goes to help all of human kind.

I have participated in a lot of studies for money. One of them was a medication.

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i've never done any pharmaceutical testing, but i've taken several MRIs for money. apparently i've got a real knack for holding perfectly still for several hours -- if you move more than a few millimeters during the scan, it ruins the image.

i guess my brain is naturally photogenic, because after i'd done this a few times, i'd walk into the MRI lab and the technicians would recognize me and get excited because they knew they were going to get a good scan.

it's actually kind of cool, on top of being easy money. i'd get into the MRI machine and take little tests and quizzes and things while they saw what my brain was up to... the best part is getting to see the pictures when it's all done!

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i haven't done anything like that yet, but the NIH and the other hospitals around the area down here in DC are always offering money to people for that stuff... i've thought about it, i could use the $

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I've only had a bone scan that was done at the beginning and end of a study. It was part of a calcium study. I got paid for my time and food. Always enjoy the time, feel like I'm making a contribution.

7. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

me too -- i'd probably do more MRIs for free. (although i'm not turning down $100-$200 a pop!) it's nice to feel like i'm doing something for science. and like i said, i always make sure to see the photos... there's something so freakin' cool about seeing your own brain!

8. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Not impressed. I'll be impressed when I see someone prostitute themselves for a Mac.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That has probably already happened. I would imagine that they would be too embarrassed to say that was how they got there Mac.

10. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I've never participated in a medical trial -- somehow, I never hear about them? I didn't even know that they are looking for people taking MRIs. Wouldn't taking many MRIs be a health hazard, just as doing many X-Rays?

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

MRI's are considered safe, they work by reversing electrons. There is not a use of radiation like an X-Ray.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/mri.htm

http://www.cis.rit.edu/htbooks/mri/

12. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Thanks for the info, wdlove -- I didn't know that.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

So that's why it says Contributor under your name!!

I gave blood to be used for a medical study, because I had decided it was a good cause from reading the description.

Other than in hindsite, you never know which studies will come to naught and which will produce a breakthrough.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hadn't thought of that Doctor Q. I am known as a giving person. Try to be a cheerful giver.