Medicare drug benifit passes the senate!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jonapete2001, Nov 26, 2003.

1. jonapete2001, Nov 26, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

any number of articles covering the story details democratic objections to it. are you only reading headlines? not understanding the articles? or just putting up flamebait?

3. jonapete2001, Nov 26, 2003

jonapete2001 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: Medicare drug benifit passes the senate!!!

WHere to start.....

It is very complicated to begin with, purchasing discount cards, asset limitations, covers first x amount of dollars to a certain number then skips upwards and then covers only a certain percentage, some people have to pay more, etc etc. It is without a doubt one of the most incredibly complicated pieces of social welfare legislation ever to come out of DC. It seems that many Medicare recipients are pretty dubious about the plan. One of the biggest drawbacks in my mind is that it doesn't allow medicare to negotiate volume discounts when it purchases drugs. In my mind that is just a big giveaway to the drug companies.

Walmart's success has been built upon squeezing every last penny from its suppliers but gw & co. have decided that that would unduly pressure the drug companies and so have NOT allowed Medicare to do so. In other words, it is a massive federal subsidy to the drug companies. Corporate welfare has come first in this legislation and medicare benificaries are left holding the remnants.

Then, there is something like $80 billion in subsidies to corporate America to continue to offer drug benefits to their retirees. the bush regime has come to be known as the largest supporter of corporate welfare in the history of this nation and this legislation only supports this.

The one bright spot is that there is about~$25 billion in support for rural hospitals.

Although it is being labeled as being only a $400 billion dollar increase in spending over 10 years, the reality is that it will be closer to 1 trillion.

WHile a drug benefit is imperative for today's retirees, this one places them last and big business first and is totally lacking in common business sense.

Why would anyone celebrate such a good intentioned yet incredibly lousy piece of legislation is beyond me.

Tell me what you like so much about it, and maybe we can discuss it further....

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey ugg

thanks for the further insight

this country is not going to get over the health crisis it has unless something ibg is done about it like socialized medicine, which will leave out the few and serve many

but right now, with medical insurance, the type that actually does something, is so high that only the ones who could afford the best of the best insurance plans benefit, and that is very few, while the many either don't have insurance or have bad insurance, which is almost like having no insurance

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't think that socialized medicine needs to be the answer. I do think that a good solution would be to require everyone to have health insurance just like drivers are required to have liability insurance. This would do a couple of things immediately to reduce health care costs across the board.

1. One of the largest costs today is people who are uninsured using the emergency room for health care. The govt. requires hospitals to do so and the costs are crippling.

2. It would reduce the average premium by about 30% making insurance affordable for everyone. Right now since companies like walmart offer high cost, low benefit insurance, companies like apple are in effect subsidizing those that don't offer comprehensive health care.

Insurance companies could continue to profit in a manner similar to public utilities. I believe everyone would benefit from such a move instead of what is increasingly a very select few in this country.

Why is it that Detroit is moving more of its manufacturing north to Canada? They have lower overall health costs. Is Canada's system perfect, no, but it works and everyone is covered. Certainly in a country like the US where we continually tout our can do attitude we could improve on the social welfare systems of France (the country with the most highly regarded health system in the world) or Canada without creating a massive entitlement program.

One of the biggest problems about managed care, ie HMOs, is that there is no money nor incentive for preventative care. The insurance companies and or US govt. only pay if someone is sick not if someone MIGHT get sick. Preventative care is a cornerstone of all socialized health systems and it works.

The drug companies routinely spend more on marketing than they do on research. Much of the research is federally subsidized anyway. Add that to artificially high prices paid by medicare and you have another massive corporate subsidy at the expense of the consumer.

gw doesn't care about the consumer or medicare recipient, he does care about corporate profit above all. This is not a recipe for a healthy America.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Even one of the drug company flacks managed to put their finger on possibly the biggest flaw in this scheme -- it allows the healthy to opt out, thus back-loading the least-healthy seniors onto the new plan. I'd think we'd have learned at least one lesson of health care by now -- that unless everyone (healthy and unhealthy) participates, the cost of providing the service quickly spins out of control.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

where i live on the west coast, we have a two edged sword...illegal immigrants force up the premiums and then lower and middle income citizens then have to go to er for simple things (and not so simple) and that ups the premiums, too...but our region depends on the cheaper labor just to survive...and to be honest a lot of it is illegal...and for the citizens to have jobs, the businesses need to survive...our standard of living is high and the local work force has become physically/mentally unable, or unwilling to do a lot of the service industry and agricultural jobs which are the backbone of the economy so the illegal immigrants are a solution a lot of companies in the red, or near the red turn to

hollywood has ported jobs to canada...very quietly and without fuss but jobs have been lost...and for a long time, there has been a lot of talent just across the border for the making of movies

PC companies have moved jobs and businesses up to canada due to lower costs (including medical) and being a PC and microsoft tech, i have considered moving to canada where a lot of microsoft/microsoft related and PC workers are increasingly moving to...it is not only a threat that uncle bill g has given to the usa and their anti trust lawsuit, but a serious consideration of migrating up north just up the sound to vancouver or nearby somewhere and he could do this slowly like hollywood

i am a proud californian but i cannot hang onto a dream and think we are the los angeles of the 50s with fast uncongested highways, low crime, and ultra cheap housing...and a booming monopoly callled hollywood and unregulated defense industry with too many high paying jobs

:p

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: Medicare drug benifit passes the senate!!!

Towing the party line...

Taft

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

dude, i don't hate you.

but i'll tell ya what's irritating: you spout the GOP-party line as dogma, then reveal your complete ignorance as to the democratic party's positions. you want to know what the democratic party thinks? find out the same way i do -- read the paper.

if you want to know what people on this board think, fine, but don't make the mistake of thinking that i or others toe the democratic party line.

we care enough about this country to be informed on both or more sides of an issue. until you can develop a sense of understanding of complex issues, instead of accusing anyone who doesn't agree w/ you of simply hating bush and/or loving terrorists, then you'll understand why i don't take you seriously.

the country is full of uninformed people who react only to the surface element of a story. this WH is particularly good at peddling such crap ("it's good for seniors", "no child left behind"). don't add to the collective ignorance.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i t was obvious that the democratic party relied on emotions more than fact and had a large constituency of ignorant people, i was a republican and proudly so

but when the high level of ignorance and infighting that the dems had got surpassed by the gop since reagan, i could not belong to a party that relied on being totally open to propaganda and ignorance

...that is why i am a democrat today and while the dems are not perfect and still have some of the bad habits i hated when i was a republican, they have a far more focused vision for america and the coexistence of big business and the citizenry, domestic and foreign policy, rich and poor, etc... of and for our country

12. Rebel macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Re: Medicare drug benifit passes the senate!!!

New Medicare Bill

UCA Analysis = OK for Seniors – Great for Drug Companies – Bad for Taxpayers.

This is the biggest expansion of a government program, and very much needed, but it favors more the Drug Maker and politician than the people who need it.

For the majority of seniors it is an OK deal, but not a great one. The new drug benefit does not take effect until 2006. It only covers about a quarter of the average seniors’ total spending. If you already get good coverage through employer plans, or through a generous state Medicaid plan, it could turn out to be a bad deal.

This deal was a sell-out to the pharmaceutical industry. The deal prohibits the government from negotiating directly with drug companies. This bill could have done more to control drug prices. It could have called for new efforts to dismantle price controls overseas, or for new spending on research into the cost effectiveness of drugs, and deeper research into drug side affects. Many drugs such as SSI’s, have severe side effects that are dangerous to individuals and society.

This was not a good deal for taxpayers. It will cost $400 billion over ten years, and nobody knows where that money is going to come from. Nevertheless, politicians from both parties had promised a prescription drug benefit, and to garner the all-powerful senior vote and still keep the drug company campaign contributions flowing, this was as far as they were willing to go. The question is – can this system be “reformed” before the vast majority of baby boomers retire. If not, then this system will crush the American workers who will have to support them and it, with more and more taxes.

FACT:
    "45-50 Million boomers will be heading into retirement in the next 15-20 years. They will be demanding all of their government benefits - SS, Medicare, Medicaid, etc. Who is going to pay for all of this? Certainly not them - it will be the under 25 group. Prepare for your taxes to skyrocket to the moon.

13. jonapete2001, Nov 26, 2003

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

both parties have different ways of dealing with the huge amount of boomers, like me, who will reach retirement age or already have

one factor which is amazing is that when the boomer generation started, medicine and nutrition were different and due to bad habits in health not thought of as bad habits, many boomers will not live long compared to later generations which ate healthier and had better access to medical care...damage done early, even at the prenatal stage can have tremendous consequences in later life

so either the boomers will be very sick now and in the near future (look at how obese we are, and the lack of education regarding alcohol and drugs, red meat, etc) and that could stress the social security system or they will die early which will relieve the generations Xers who will not have to worry about so many boomers hanging around

who knows how all this will play out?

when i was born the life expectancy for a male was nearly 67 years, now it is over 70 years old, and in the future, it will approach 75 years...women already have a life expectancy floating around 78 years and they will hit the 80 year mark soon...and we are talking average life expectancy here, so any girl born today, with access to information on nutrition, medicine, etc will be in a generation where nearly half of them will make it into their 80s

and yes, due to that fact, sex symbols will continually be allowed to get older and older and still steal the limelight...i thought i would throw that one in ;) hey, look at demi and ashton!

15. Rebel macrumors newbie

United Citizens of America

Demi is hot!

The difference between the past and present is that the seniors today had a vibrant pool of up and coming baby boomers. The baby boomers (myself included), have a pool of poverty stricken children that will continue to degrade as our government continues it's abusive practices. Our future is very bleak.

Total American children living in poverty is over 16 million today. The number of children living in extreme poverty has risen sharply in recent years, an advocacy group said in a recently released report. Following is their breakout:

Approx. 932,000 Black children

Approx. 733,00 Hispanic children

Approx. 1.8 million White children

Following is one example of what is happening to seniors today. What will our future be like? Gay Lee Andrews. A 74-year-old Elk Grove Village woman and her husband, Ray, pay more than $10,000 a year for prescription drugs. "I never thought I'd see the day when we'd have to scrimp and save to buy groceries," said Andrews.”

The seniors retired, only to each return to two jobs because of rising drug costs. Andrews said she and her husband would have to continue to work because the proposed plan leaves a 100 percent gap for prescriptions between $3,450 and $5,300.

At 74 years of age, people should be relaxing and enjoying what time they have left on this planet. Not working two jobs just to get medicine.

who knows how all this will play out? I can promise you that it will play-out very badly for us boomers. We are in big trouble and unless we have a fortune to draw upon for retirement, we will be working well into our 80's.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

america is the ultimate paradox

you can say almost anything you want short of "fire" in a crowded theater
    you can own a firearm legally
    you don't get thrown in debtors jail
    the water, for the most part, is safe to drink
    we have a military that is subservient to civilians and not the other way around

yet>

we have the medical issues you mentioned
    america is very dangerous on our urban streets with guns, gangs, and drugs
    vast homelessness in our country which is the richest country
    marijauna is illegal yet cigatettes and alcohol kill millions and nobody sees it
    we have a military that has become the police force of the world and are hated

and in my home state of california, once thought of as the perfect state by many californians, we have had record numbers of native californians leave the state due to issues like high medical costs, overcrowding, urban violence...etc...and they are leaving the state their families came to orginally to escape from the above problems mentioned

he he...but my wife's family, originally from harlem, still see los angeles where they moved to, as wide open, clean air, safe streets, etc and they laugh at anything that we californians would call crime, bad air, congestion, road rage, etc:p

17. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Has anyone seen the movie "John Q" I think that sums up alot of what is being said here.

In Australia we use to and sitll do have an extremley good public healthcare system. While not as good as Canada's or France's, Everyone is still covered, and can still visit a GP with no out of pocket expence. However since the Rightwing Liberal Party gained power and events such as the terror attacks on the WTC 11/9/01, Bali 12/10/02 (Australian date format) and the two subsequent wars the cost of Public liablity insurence has risen exponentially. This along with an increase in negligence claims has lead to an increase in doctors fees.

I hope beyond all else that our medical system doesn't crash and burn like the US system has, and that our children, and our children's children have acces to a free health care.

18. Rebel macrumors newbie

Here is a question for you

What could $87 billion buy?

It would solve all the budget crises for every school district in the entire country.

It would buy health insurance for 15 years for every American child.

It would feed 6 million children who died from hunger in the world for the next seven years.

19. jonapete2001, Nov 27, 2003

20. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Or 43, B2 bommers, I wonder what Bush will buy, or has already bought?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

26.7 million additional children could be given health care for a year

1.2 million additional teachers could be hired for a year

1.6 milion additional 4-year college scholarships

source

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

like it or not, we are the policemen of the world and if there is a major country in need with a bad human rights record and that country gets into our media a lot and affects polls, we will go in and spend money there first before we spend anything on america or her children in need right here

when clinton was policeman of the world, the gop guys on crossfire were screaming bloody murder

not that bush jr is policeman of the world, the democratic guys on crossfire are screaming bloody murder

i see a trend here and this is out lot for now and it's very sad

23. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

As far as Human Rights records go how long has the US help Prisoners in Camp X-Ray and Camp Delta in Cuba?
    With out Trial,
    With out access to legal aid,
    without access to family or friends,
    or Without who knows what else.

I ask you maybe the US should look closer to home when it comes to Human Rights, or don't these people fall under the Bill or Rights?

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now you are arguing that Iraqi lives are more important than American ones? I thought conservatives were an America-first kind of crowd! When did you get so touchy-feely about the innocents of other countries when compared to the innocents in our own land?

And when will you expand that compassion to areas of the world not known for their rich oil and gas reserves?

25. jonapete2001, Nov 28, 2003