Medicare - Oopsie, It'll Cost About Triple What I Promised

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Feb 9, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How can we believe anything money-related from this WH anymore?

Fuzzy math indeed. :mad:

Lies

Remember, this started at about $380 billion or so. Bush lied about the numbers so he could get the AARP types on board. And the benefit sounds $***** too.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is this now SOP? moving debits from the fed budget to the states' budgets now counts as saving money?

isn't the net to the taxpayers the same?

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My state employs a flat tax, fees, and a lottery (with wider types of gambling coming soon) to generate revenue.

So the net to me is that I pay more (as a percentage of income) than I would if this money were coming from the graduated, progressive federal tax schedules.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why do you think so many Republican govenors have not jumped enthusiastically behind Bush's budget?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it really drives home the idea that people are ludicrously fixated on federal income tax rates, as if it's the only non-discretionary cost to people.

i'd love to see a poll done and see how many people answer "yes" to: would you support a program to lower your federal taxes by $500 by increasing your state taxes by the same amount?

i bet we'd see double digits.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, taxes down, fees up. Makes a whole lot of sense. In my area there is talk of a huge hike in building permit fees in some towns to help make up some of the cuts in monies the local governments used to get from the state or the feds.