Medieval Times

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zelmo, Apr 22, 2006.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Thursday was my son's 5th birthday, and he decided that, rather than have a party, he wanted to go to Medieval Times restaurant (immortalized in The Cable Guy). One opened in Hanover, Md., a couple of years ago, and my wife decided then it would make a good excuse to get her family together for an outing, since they don't get together beyond Christmas. So, we've been there already, about two years ago. Of course our son was three and has no recollection to speak of, and lately he's really been into knights and dragons and such... Still, once was pretty much enough for me. It's a decent show, and the food isn't horrible (sneak in a fork, though;) ), but pricey.
    Anyone else ever go to one of these places? And would you ever go again?

2. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I've always wanted to go to one but I don't think that there are any close. The idea seems fun for a one or two time thing, but I don't think it's the kind of place I'd want to go to every week. :p

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

There's one about 10 minutes from my house but I've never gone. The idea of the show is appealing, and I'm sure the kids would enjoy it, but we just haven't made the effort. Of course, the whole eat with your hands thing is a little weird, but I'm sure the kids would dig that.

4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I was wondering if you'd been, actually. There are only 7-8 in the US, but there's one in your backyard. Well, not literally.:)
    My daughter is working today, so it's just me, the wife, and the Little Guy™. Even so, the premium "Royalty"(crown, banner, better seats, and a souvenir DVD - w00t:rolleyes: ) package for 2 Adults (surprisingly, I DO qualify as an Adult, but only when something can be more expensive) and 1 Child ran $170.:eek:

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i went when i was young, the food was worst then mcdonalds. The show was kinda corney, but i was older so your son would prob like it better.
    instead of gong to medieval times take him to hooters or what about mortons. :D

6. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I've been to the one in Schaumburg, IL for my brother's birthday - about 10 or 12 years ago, I think. It was quite fun, but then again I was only 11 or 12 at the time. I think now I would think it was sort of corny, but it was fun then. The food was fine, and when you're a kid and you get to eat with your hands, well, that was a blast.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've been to the one that emw mentioned. it was alright, and i was back in grade-school on a field trip when i went... but the food wasn't anything spectacular, and the show was decent enough. its more for kids than anything else if you ask me. simply because i can remember even then how staged it was, or maybe we just had bad actors, i don't know. fun if you want it to be though.

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You haven't seen anything until you've seen Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede. It's like Medieval Times, but Civil War style. It's actually quite scary.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Forget Moroccan and Indian restaurants for you. What's wrong with using your hands? It's somewhat natural.

The good thing about Medieval Times restaurants in contrast to living in those times is that the people actually bathe these days and the restaurant uses refrigeration.

It all looks a bit silly to me but so do all the touristy things.

11. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

When I was little my parents took me to Orlando and we went to the Pirate one that was similar to Medieval Times, but with Pirates. That one was sort of fun, but our pirate didn't have a hand and lost at everything.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I think I have been to one up in NH but i am unsure :/

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, somewhat. So's taking a crap in the bushes, but I don't want to do that either... ;)

It's no so much eating with my hands that's a problem - I do that all the time with everything from pizza to burritos, but given what I understand of the menu, I'd prefer to have utensils.

I'm so civilized.

:p