Meet Boeing Motor Company or the new CEO of Ford

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quagmire, Sep 5, 2006.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Bill Ford has stepped down as CEO of Ford( he is still chairman) and Alan Mulally from Boeing replaced him.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...id=38965.6739150232-881233290&dist=RNPullDown

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Ford needs help, you dont have quality merely by saying you do. Also the F14 use to be the best fighter but its not even close these days just had to say that.

3. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm glad that Bill Ford finally admitted to his ineptitude. He means well, but his reign has been detrimental to the company ever since he started usurping Nasser....

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    yes!

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Sure an F-15/22 would own its face in a dogfight but mere fighting ability doesn't make something "The best",there are just more factors. I think in comparison the F-18 which replaced it, it was a better airplane and there is lots of controversy over why they chose to keep the F-18.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They need somebody strong enough to stand up to the board, and look to getting projects done that will benefit the company -- not just the bottom line.

Hopefully Alan Mulally, can look forward enought to take care of the current problems and align the future product at the same time.

We'll see.

---

A sign of how not to do this was GM, who scrapped all those new car platforms to refresh the aging truck line -- the ones recently released to $3 gasoline. And had no new cars to counter Toyota, oops.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's about time we address the issue of why they're puttnig all this effort into upgrading their consumer line and not into getting the new Triton 2 Duo into their professional F-Series. :eek: ;) :D

10. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

So GM is supposed to abandon the SUV and truck market? They should of let there trucks and SUV's stay stale for over 8 years? Was it bad timing? Yes. If GM knew about the high gas prices would they have stopped the redesign? No. Maybe they would of made there SUV's go back to there core owners like Ford did with the Expedition. But, GM wasn't going to abandon a market where they still have dominance in and still make quite a profit from them which would help fund GM's new cars. The GMT-800's needed redesigning. GM redesigned them. Now they get bad PR because it happened to be at the time gas went over $3.

Where did you hear that GM killed all these car platforms for the SUV's and trucks? They only pushed back Epsilon II to 2010 from 2008. But, there is the Aura and the upcoming heavily refreshed Chevy Malibu in 2008. Still rides on Epsilon I, but it will be competitive hopefully. Same with the Cobalt. The Cobalt is getting a refresh for 2008. The Impala is going RWD in the 2009-2010 timeframe. The Grand Prix is going RWD and be renamed possibly to G8. They didn't kill any platforms. Just delayed one platform.

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I don't get what the fuss is about, Ford Europe make some great cars!!

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Must have been those 2005 usa today articles that stated how GM has killed off plans for a car platform to free up resources for trucks... and how they cannot continue the spending on new car platforms that make up such a small percentage of sales vs. how important trucks are.

I guess I missed the "oops, sorry I guess we didn't mean to do that" reversal as the gas prices spiked months later.

13. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Ah, I think I know what you are talking about. Back in 2005 there was a nasty rumor of GM killing the Zeta platform. But, that rumor was obviously debunked at the Detroit Auto Show when the Camaro concept was shown as Zeta was named to be its platform. But, there weren't any talks of the killing of any of the bread and butter platforms.