Meet the new Jaguar XK8

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jan 21, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

It's a baby Aston... the rear 3/4 screams DB9. Have to admit, I'm not a fan of Jags but it's definitely a handsome and muscular design.

I wonder how much cheaper it'll be than the new Aston Vantage??

rinky dink link

Thoughts?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

not bad at all (for once). I still haven't forgiven Ford for it's subtle (at times not too subtle) influence on Jaguar (and Volvo) design. I am a purist I guess, I used to love the lines of the original XJ's from the early 70's, not to mention the XKE of similar vintage.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Beautiful...except that it looks EXACTLY like a pimped out DB9 :eek: :eek:

The old XK8 had flaws but at least it looked different than the DB7. It doesn't work as a Jag. Is this just me? I'm gonna have to go look at a picture of the new Aston again...

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I agree! Ford truly MARRED the classic Jaguar design. The closest to the original is in the XJ6, XJ8, and, I suppose, the, what's it called, Vanden Plaas?, but it's still not perfect.

6. Bob21 macrumors newbie

Hmm, very nice. Perhaps a bit too similar to the Aston. It will be interesting to see how this fairs to the baby Aston.

But they've finally updated the interior! The was the only thing that let the old version down, for me anyway.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

More than a whiff of the Chrysler Crossfire in the back end there don'tcha think?

Very nice indeed, it'd look good sitting outside my house.... (sadly it's probably going to be more expensive than my house...)

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I love the looks of the Mark X and early XJ. Such a far cry from the hideous late 80's square headlight-clad monstrosity that my next door neighbor has. I think Jag is treading dangerously close to Aston's design "DNA" with this new car.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think the word DNA is being thrown around too liberally (thanks, LBA, for at least using quotes) for things that don't have nucleotides.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Why such a heavy, brutish look? It has appeal but not to the same crowd, I think. I prefer the more delicate look of the 1950s and 1960s Jaguars.

Perhaps, it's sharing more than a few pieces with the designs from Aston Martin.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Need to get rid of the nasty vents behind the front wheels. Apart from that I like it. Once the prices drop a bit I might even upgrade my current XK8!

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just noticed no one has posted the official site with high res pictures, videos and so on!

13. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Well it might look nice. And you might all like it.

But thats hardly the point is it.

Jaguar used to be an innovating company, it pushed aerodynamics and engineering in sportscars starting from the D-type onwards. That is what jaguar should be about, pushing design forwards. Not producing comfortable safe and competent design.

Since the Leyland days though they have lost this. And now they are just chasing sales under Ford.

So, sorry, its a decent car, but i dont like it. Its not a true jag.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's why I put in quotations. I guess I stink at being sarcastic. ;)

Automotive pundits are always talking about design "DNA" these days, especially with the (very hit or miss) retro phenomenon going on.

Saying a car has another car/brand's "DNA" is a marketeer's way of saying "we stole a succesful style from somewhere else and repackaged it so we could have a successful design without doing all the work".

Not that I'm accusing Jag of stealing per se, but the concept car looks more like a DB9 than an XK8.

I didn't want to harp on this too much anyway, since it is a nice looking car, and actually the oval grille looks better than Aston's.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Wowsa

Drool.
    Drool.
    Drool.

Just another reason to move to Scotland when I can finally afford it. You Brits might not understand things like hash browns and baseball, but the cars definitely make up for it.

Any mention on how much these will cost?

16. mpw Guest

The trouble with this, and most other 'nearly there concept cars', is that as they quote the designer the car represents 80% of what the road going car will be. That would be fine but the 20% they change is what gives these cars their wow-factor. I very much doubt the rear exhuast of the air intakes fore of the front wheels will be seen in the production version.

That said I think it's far better than the ladies XK8, a little too much like AM and a little too late to save Jaguar from going the same route all car makers seem to have gone down the not different enough from everything else.

I hope I'm wrong when it's launched for real.

17. mpw Guest

While we're all talking car designon an Apple site, did anyone see the free supplement that came with the last issue of Top Gear Magazine in the UK?

It's your normal Christmas issue filler stuff about what new cars are coming in '05. Toward the back there's a series of interviews with about a dozen car designers/ industry types where they each get asked the same 10 or so questions.

When asked about design influence/interests/who they admire etc. without fail every one of these leading designers quote Apple/Ives and gives them gushing praise.

I guess we'll be seeing alot of Apple influences(at least in the concepts even if the bean counters stop them hitting the road)

In fact I can already see an Apple iPod influence in my Renault Clio company car......it's got the worst f*****g auto 'box I've every used which seems to be based on the randomness of the iPod Shuffle!

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

At least as much as a current XK8 (around £55k).

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It's nice but it doesn't look like a Jag. I wonder if AM and Jag are going to become one line with two sets of names.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Let's see, the back was lifted from the DB9 (I wonder why :rolleyes: ) and the grille looks like it came from a Taurus :eek:
    WHY WON'T THOSE OVALS JUST DIE!!

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

A bit tame and understated for me, on the verge of bland.
    (not that I wouldn't take one!)

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

At the risk of sounding the idiot, is that a lot? Or I guess a better way to phrase it would be, how does that stack up in terms of the UK standard of living? Right now I think the x-rate is something like £1 = $1.85 or so, which would bring the US price to a little over $100,000, probably more. That's more than your average person will spend on his house here (pre-mortgage), and a lot more than I'm prepared to lay out for a car given that I'm a poor college student.

23. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

There's no question that the new Jaguar XK8 looks like an Aston — Vanquish, Volante, Vantage, pick one. But why would Ford allow such similarity among sibling companies? Isn't the V8 Vantage supposed to be the new, more affordable Aston and competitor to the Porsche Carrera? If so, why introduce a similar lower-priced version of the same car?

Mega conglomerates always have a tough time managing niche brands and the Ford/Jaguar lesson will eventually find its way into MBA textbooks. Ford is so desperate to inject passion and performance back into the Jaguar brand that they're willing to borrow from Aston to do it. As a supercar brand, Aston hasn't suffered the same kind of identity crisis from Ford's ownership, but Ford has taken a beating (deservedly so) for "Ford-ifying" the Jaguar brand. Perhaps Ford has finally decided to take the high road.

Is there any reason why two great storied English brands like Aston and Jaguar with their history of luxury, performance and racing shouldn't find a way to work together? According to Jaguar, elements of the new XK8's styling will be passed down to upcoming Jag vehicles in the coming years. Will Jaguar become a more affordable, non-hand built brand extension of Aston Martin? If it helps carry the two brands into the future, then why not?

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Oh, I do a bad job demonstrating that I'm NOT being sarcastic...I really was thanking you for using quotes.

I do understand what it means, I just find it annoying that this is a buzz word piggybacking on pop genetics--Consider that the "Human Genome Project" is now a mainstream buzz phrase.

The more I look at this car, the less I like it. It's fugly. Where are the Jags of old?!