Meet your new VP...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 6, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It's official:

I personally think it is a good choice...not my favorite, but better than Gephart. Sure to make for some interesting debates...talking of interesting debates, what say you?

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

score! that was whom I expected and whom I wanted...Maybe now North Carolina will swing. If it does, it will be an effective 28 electoral votes for Kerry--The 14 more he receives and the 14 less that Bush does from a state that most often goes Elephant in presidential elections.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

A much better choice than Gephardt! I like what he brings as a campaigner - he's a better stump speaker than Bill Clinton and that is saying something. If he tips North Carolina, something I'm not sure even he can do, that is the election. Bush doesn't win this election without North Carolina. It will be fun to watch this trial lawyer in the debates with Cheney! :D

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

the republicans are already trying to knock him as the following:
    Washington Insider--Like Bush & Cheney aren't! Bush is THE Washington Insider. Cheney has served both as VP and as Defense Secretary.

Inexperienced--According to an analyst from the Hoover library, the level of experience of the VP has not correlated to his quality as a president if he rose to those ranks. Truman had limited experience in public office but is heralded as one of our strongest presidents after his rise from #2 to #1.

Trial Lawyer--And Cheney is big business. At least Edwards' clients were, as he puts it, "regular folk." Cheney made his money by facilitating the success of large corporations that thrive on the destruction of war and the Saudi fortune.

Edwards>Cheney when it comes to matters of ethics...Plain & simple.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Better start prepping for the debate now Cheney... It's gonna be a rough one this time!

Good choice. One problem is potential for upstaging the actual candidate on the stump. If Edwards had had a few more weeks during the primary he might have actually beaten Kerry.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ding-ding-ding! ... so what do I win?

They're going to have some trouble with the trial lawyer thing, but Edwards was probably the best political choice Kerry had available to him.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

fortunately, he can play this "little guy" card regarding the folks he defended. I don't know how effective it will be, but it is a better spin than nothing.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Edwards for VP?
    wow, that comes as a shocker.... :)

maybe he is a little inexperienced, but 8 ys as #2 should be an OK background for the next 8 as #1.

By 2020 we might have regained just enough economical strength and international respect to be able to weather another 4 ys with a republican at the helm squandering them.... ;)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, I think that will be the answer, but Republican just love to beat up on trial lawyers, so I'd expect a relentless attack on that front. I'm certain the talking points are being faxed and e-mailed even as we speak. I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that within 24 hours all of the right wing mouthpieces (Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter) will have used the words "John Edwards" and "trial lawyer" in the same sentence.

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I"m missing something. What is wrong with trial lawyers, exactly? I thought they were part of the justice system in AMerica and what made this country great?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Haven't you got the word? Trial lawyers are What's Wrong With America. Every problem can be fixed with tort reform.

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

But what does this choice actually add to the ticket? How does it increase the chances of Bush getting booted in November? The chances of Edwards carrying NC are slim at best. I suppose he comes off as very personable, but is that enough? What would other choices have brought to the table? I just really don't want another four years of fear-mongering and war, is all. :( :eek:

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You give them too little credit. Those folks started their rhetoric after 24 seconds, not 24 hours.

I disagree. Edwards unseated an incumbent conservative in 1998. He faired better in Western counties than did Gore when Gore ran for President. If Edwards can pick up those same counties, then he could carry NC.

14. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I agree. I like Edwards, but I don't think he will bring in N.C. My main beef with him is that I wanted someone with more experience, particularily in mlitary or foreign policy matters, like a Sam Nunn. I also don't like the "two senators" ticket. Not sure why, really. It just feels a bit narrow. Still, I think he might be able to do some real damage to Cheney in the debates. He may look like a choir boy, but this guy has some sharp teeth.

As far as the trial lawyer thing goes...I'm sure we will all hear the phrase "ambulance chaser" at least 20,000 times before the election.

Mainly, I am relieved that Kerry didn't choose Gephardt. All the Republican talking heads were going on and on about Gephardt, how great of a choice he would be. Egads - they wish.

15. jywv8 macrumors 6502

But if I hear that "I'm the son of a mill worker" speech one more time...ah, but I know I will. It must work on some people.

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Quite a bit. It will shut the RNC up about Kerry being from a "liberal" Northern state because Edwards is a Dixiecrat!

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

What kind of trial lawyer was he? I was thinking defense lawyer which in some narrow minds = soft on crime.

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

even if edwards doesnt carry nc, he'll carry in all the moderate middle class people...he'll be a nice contrst to kerry.

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if via Tort reform, we get loser pays all court and plaintiff/defense costs. That would cut down on frivolous lawsuits that end up with out-of-court settlements that tend to drive up various costs of doing business.

Imagine if suing Microsoft in its GUI infringement from Apple could be done where Microsoft would pay Apple if it loses the case. As it is, using lawyers and court motions as a delaying action hurts the small company who doesn't have as much legal resources and deep pockets as the larger company.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Personal injury and malpractice, I think. As somebody said above, "ambulance chasing."

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here are the official GOP talking points on Edwards:

WHO IS JOHN EDWARDS?

A Disingenuous, Unaccomplished Liberal And Friend To Personal Injury Trial Lawyers.​

http://www.gop.com/RNCResearch/Read.aspx?id=4345

Drudge has already linked to them.

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If Edwards wins North Carolina, as I said earlier, it is all over for Bush. However, that isn't the sum total of the importance of his inclusion on the ticket. If Edwards makes it close in North Carolina and forces Bush to spend resources there it is a major plus for the Kerry - Edwards team. If he has an impact on the race in South Carolina or Virginia, that is a huge plus as well. Most importantly, Edwards has shown he can draw votes of Democrats who have been dislocated by Bush's economy. The real battle for the Presidency is in states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Edwards helps Kerry in all those states. In short, Edwards contribution to the ticket is not just a regional one, but a middle class one as well. That is his greatest appeal - to what we used to call Reagan Democrats.

The GOP will spin the trial lawyer nonsense, but Edwards' career and history is one that is attractive to most voters. The real problem is his lack of foreign policy experience, but Kerry has plenty of that, and when compared to the mistakes of the Bush administration they both look very good.

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think "With biased, and limited comparison" would better suit Plain & Simple.

Anybody remember who said this: "I don't even know if John Edwards was out of diapers" ?

If you guessed John F Kerry, you are correct!

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, you're reading verbatim those GOP talking points already!