MegaMan ZX- the pinnacle of 2D platforming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jul 20, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The more I see of this game, the better it gets. I almost cried when the first video footage of the game came out showing Zero and X together again with the four guardians from the Zero series as playable characters and gameplay based on the awesome MegaMan Zero games... I got to play it at E3, which was awesome...but it just keeps getting better and better.

Click here for an awesome gameplay montage.

Incredibly Cool-loooking Boss Fight

The MegaMan Zero series were my favorite platformers on the GameBoy Advance, easily crushing Sonic. This looks like Zero on steroids- special effects from the DS hardware everywhere, with all the major villains (excepting of course Weil) from the Zero series playable (the four guardians were not evil, and genuinely concerned with humanity, their methods were just wrong and they were manipulated by Weil and Copy X), six characters (Zero, X, and the four: Harpuia, Fefnir, Phantom, and Leviathan) with COMPLETELY different playing styles, a Metroid Fusion-esque feel with a large overworld leading into the different missions, etc...

On top of that, we learned just before E3 that the entire game would be voice acted. On the Nintendo DS. Well, now it turns out that the game has anime cutscenes throughout as well, in addition to voice acting throughout (including seperate voices and different storylines depending on whether you choose to play as Van or Aeile).

Watch the 3rd video (bottom left) to see a full cutscene as it appears on the DS. Wow, just wow.
    http://media.ds.ign.com/media/794/794195/vids_1.html

The top two videos there show him playing against the first boss and playing through the first stage with only the X form.

Anyone else very excited about this game?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

just looks same old same old to me I'm afraid. :(

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

never been interested in Megaman. I don't understand all this X, Zero business. I'm probably uneducated but it seems like a linear Metroid to me but not as good as Turrican. Though I've only played the NES games.

Actually that Youtube gameplay vid looks so similar to Turrican 3 it's a little spooky.

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ugh, jimmi, I've heard your MegaMan-Turrican comparisons way too much. You're thinking of the ORIGINAL MegaMan series. MegaMan X is an entirely different series in an entirely different timeline with an entirely different playing style, and Zero is even more different.

Zero is all about swordfighting :) X is about gunfire and has some slight similarities to Turrican, but very, very different- I watched a bunch of turrican videos, MegaMan X moves and plays entirely differently, kicking off walls and just having a different feel.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWtlDdHn4-A - MegaMan Zero 4
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=tkuXs-8j7K8 - first level of MegaMan Zero, before you get most of your techniques

It's very, VERY different from Turrican.

The NES MegaMan series had 6 games, then one on SNES, then died. The X games started on SNES and moved to Playstation (where Zero became a playable character), then was succeeded by the Zero series on GBA (which no longer had X playable).

6. t1rider321 macrumors regular

if you cant wait you can acutally buy this game right now from play asia
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-hq-49-en-70-17ti.html

i also recomend jump super stars
    [URL="http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-hq-49-en-70-eud.html[/URL]
    its a awsome game and not that hard to understand

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This games sounds really interesting...as if I didn't have enough reasons to want a DS Lite!!! :eek: :eek:

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Like I said, I haven't played them much ;) Plus it seems like whoever makes them doesn't like the UK. I don't see them much over here, bar some millionth Battle Red/Blue or something on the GBA. They seem to be the only ones I've seen in the shops ever, too. so don't blame me :p

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, theMegaMan Battle Network games are an RPG series, very different from the MegaMan Zero platformers, and occur in an alternate universe and are completely unconnected to the franchise other than some people having the same names. The only really really good one in the series was Battle Network 3 IMHO, as the sequels and prequels were always either too short or overcomplicated.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The game looks pretty darn cool and I'll definitely buy it, but I certainly wouldn't call it the pinnacle of 2D gaming.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Praxis, if I were to buy a Megaman game which should I get? After a new game and sidescrolling shooters are a weak spot of mine.

12. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

You should have kept your PSP and gotten MegaMan: Powered Up. :p It's a super cute remake of the original. I like it a lot, but I do think I'm more a fan of the X style games where you get armor upgrades, can dash, and can jump on walls. I might get Maverick Hunter, though it's just a redo of MegaMan X which I already have for my SNES (I should get that thing out...).

I would like this new game for the DS. Maybe then the wife and I would swap for awhile, as she's interested in playing my Powered Up anyway. I'll at least swap when FF3 is out!

13. sk1985 macrumors regular

The pinnacle of 2D gaming platformers not likely. I assume you've never played Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Now that is easy one of if not the best 2D games of all time stretching all genres. The only 2D game that competes with it is Crono Cross (now thats an RPG).

Seriously SOTN kills any DS or GBA castlevania game (or Mega Man game). Everyone of those new Castlevania games tries to repeat it's winning formula, but none of them has equaled that game's impact. It's simplicity and genuine great game play (borrowed from the metroid series and improved upon) is simply timeless. Now thats a classic.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I never liked the X series Mega Man's that much. And haven't played the Zero's on GBA but they always looked pretty good. I'm still a fan of the regular Mega Man style games and boss characters.

The PSP new Mega Man game looks much better than that DS game. Not having played either, they both look like solid titles I'd like to try.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno, I played the original way back when and I wasn't too keen. Should have kept the CD seeing its going for so much on eBay! the best Castlevania game I've currently played is either Aria (very basic feel) or Dawn (overcooked, yet more challenging feel).
    the best 2D, IMO, is Turrican 2. Beautiful pixel art and frankly the best soundtrack ever. again, all my opinion :)

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did Castlevania:SotN ever hit PSP or any other handheld? I always wanted to play it, but am loathe to find the box my PS is in and unpack it... :(

17. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

SOTN is pretty darn amazing, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best 2D game ever. It's really good though.

Super Turrican on SNES is an amazing fun game that most people probably never heard of or played. And it I don't blame them after the terrible Turrican 1 game on Genesis, they should have called it something else.

Personally I thought Earthworm Jim was better than Symphony of the Night, though I would hate to have to chose between them. They're both must owns but EWJ has more replay value, where as SOTN I haven't touched since I first finished it.

18. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

No, for now only on PS1, though might be available as a PS1 download for the PSP at some point. But that's pure speculation.

The GBA versions of Aria and Harmony are almost as good as SOTN, if that is more readily available for you.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you. :) I played Circle of the Moon but never got to those two...I probably should, while I wait to convince myself to get a DS. ;)

20. Topono macrumors member

I personally think Yoshi's Island is the best 2D platformer ever. "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" was probably the best level in any video game.:D

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh my god, that level. :D

I'm not sure what I'd nominate...something from SM3 probably, but I'm not sure.

22. sk1985 macrumors regular

EDIT I don't know why my post changed but it basically said I want another 2D version of the series on a next get platform because the 2D graphics would be amazing. Unfortunately sony and M$ don't let 2D games get licensed for their respected systems. Hopefully nintendo will let it slide.

The prices don't seem too bad. They are ranging from 10 to 50 dollars. If someone really wants to play SOTN badly they could always burn a copy. I don't really think it's stealing because it's no longer in production and Konami doesn't see a cent from any used copies sold (basically they've made all the money they could off of this game). I normally don't recommend piracy but when something is so outdated and hasn't been on the market from almost 10 years then I say it's a go!!!

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The only problem there is finding a pixel artist who can produce work for HD resolutions, and going off how badly (or just impossibly) 2D is resized I guess this upcoming trend of "multi res" consoles is only going to hurt such a game.

Meh, forget the big consoles. Castlevania games are perfect on handhelds.

ooh, my fave level!
    Starlight Zone in Sonic 1. Music has always had a huuuge influence on me. Which is probably why I'm madly in love with vintage Mario and Sonic, Turrican and Castlevania. great tunes.

and hey, I've seen GUIDES for SotN go for £60. the games, in the UK at least go for around that - if not more. but this is the UK.

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Am quite interested in playing some of the Castlevania games to see what all the fuss was about.

Are any of them playable on a mac, either through an emu or MAME?

If not SOTN then which ones?

25. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Get any of the MegaMan Zero games on GBA. The first is the most difficult of the entire series (if you enjoy obscenely difficult games like I do- hard mode is almost impossible), but doesn't have as many special unlockable moves as, say, Zero 3.

All the Zero games start, and since Zero's memory was wiped and it occurs a hundred years after MegaMan X, you don't need to know the enormously confusing MegaMan storyline to get started with it.

Or, just get MegaMan ZX on launch day :)