Mel Gibson at it again

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JesseJames, Oct 29, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am interested. :)

Mel Gibson is getting to the problem with many movies nowadays, and that is that even though something is set in an atmosphere they use Anglo-Saxon actors and speech. In which case looses the whole idea behind the story to make it represent to a close point of what was and may have been. By adding other factors of anglo actors and speech ruins it to a point, adding subtitles is a good way for other people to enjoy a foreign movie, as well as languages that have been lost.

Way to go Mel, hope it's another masterpiece for yourself. :)

3. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I think what Mel is doing is great. I never watched foreign films before because I thought sub-titles were lame. One day I gave it a shot and watched the French film Amelie. It sort of opened a new world of film for me. Now I have no problem watching great films that I otherwise would have passed because they weren't in English.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I love foreign movies. :)

Only wish there was more of a selection at the video store. :(

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

indeed, they are hard to find. so sad, because there are so many great ones out there

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I may not agree with everything Mel says, but I still enjoy most of his movies. As long as you realize it's fiction (even if fact based) I think you can really appreciate stuff like this for what it is. I love experimental and hyper-realistic stuff, so this should be interesting.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Next, he's going to hire real white folk for an english language film he likes to call "Lethal Weapon 5." But hopefully not. :p

8. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

The library is a great source for foreign films. They're free to borrow and on DVD. So go experiment.

Here in Chicago, we have the Gene Siskel Film Center -- a great resource for foreign and independent films.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Mel Gibson is awesome, a great actor and director. I'm sure that it will be a success. Hope that it will a movie to learn about the Mayans.

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

We get a lot of foreign films here, mostly American that don't have subtitles. But that's fine because most American films are the same anyway just with different actors each time. So you really don't even need sound, you can practically recite the dialogue as it goes along.

11. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Yes, let's hope. Murtaugh (Danny Glover) might look odd as a white guy. Although...I'd probably still watch it :)

12. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

ah boo this! After "Passion of the Christ" I lost most respect for this guy. Yes, I'm Catholic. Now, he is going to pervert Mayan culture by telling myth stories from the "sacred" Popul Vuh (a product of the Conquest period). Yes, I'm also part Mayan. According to the article he says:

"A lot of it I just made up, and when I checked it out with historians and archeologists*, it wasn't that far wrong".

He is so full of himself. ugh.

I'm all for the making of a "Mayan" movie, that would be rad. Im glad indi films would take on something like this; it is just unfortunate Mr. Gibson is going to warp the representation of the Mayan culture which is already in shreds. I don't think he has the sensitivity to handle this correctly; He is just going to create another mega-mayan-epic-myth that will probably dominate in future generations as the truest representation of Mayan culture. Rewriting the culture/history of a group yet again. Welcome to colonization-2005. Hollywood style.

* i know three prominent Mayan historian(1)/archeologists(2) who are going to be p****d!.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Mel Gibson is way beyond caring the least what Hollywood thinks. You don't like his movies, you don't have to go. There are people who appreciate his craft and accept it for what it is; and that's usually well done.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Heh. If you don't like his interpretation, go make your own film. :p

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, that's no surprise, considering how many Biblical and rabbinical scholars were p****d about some of the depictions in The Passion of the Christ.

You can't get any significant group of people to agree about historical "facts" no matter how well-documented they might be.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

way to go mel. I love movies in general and will be waiting for this one to hit the big screen.

yo Mr. Gibson, im looking for work.....if u ever want to make a film on west indian/Lucayans am your guy

Bless

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But he made it up. Its almost as bad as his Passion of the Christ, or the Bible in general.

ZING!

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only good that might come of this for me personally is that if he covers the Popol Vuh creation myth I may finally be able to have people stop asking me the origins of my name. :rolleyes: Or at least they may stop thinking it has anything to do with the biblical Balaam who apparently had an ass. ;)

B

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Historical Fiction. ;) In context, it was ok. Little violent for my taste. I get why, but it still seemed gratuitous and he got a lot of things wrong. It's kind of a double edge sword. It gets people interested in the subject, but then their views become skewed. I think people forget that they're just movies.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

KARBLAH!!!

[​IMG]

What's next Gibbo? An epic based on the entire Kalahari bushman dialect? You know, the click-click one from "The Gods Must be Crazy."

21. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I think Mel Goeb*els (as I like to refer to him) should go to Walmart, buy a lot of nice American food and then lock himself up in a cave and translate the Bible to l33t. If you guys want right wing political activits with a lost sense of what is going on in the world you can just go to East Germany.

Sorry for distrubing the peace of this board but I hate this guy. I really do.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nice american food? What ees thees you speek of eh?

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hardly think that burgers, french fries, and potato chips are the appropriate foods to take with you if you planned on trapping yourself in a cave.

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'm glad Mel sinned against Europe. Historically, that has been a good thing. And since 'America' continues to be penned, ignorantly as the great catch-all for all three Americas, one of my favorite American foods is ajiaco. It can be found by going to New York, turning right and traveling south about 3000 miles to one of the other Americas.

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's true, but you can hardly get that at a "Walmart" like the guy suggested can you?