Melissa Removal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScottM2, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ScottM2 macrumors newbie

I have a problem with the old Melissa virus. I've had a client tell me recently that a file I sent them had the Melissa virus on it and he couldn't open it. Basically I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on virus software that I really don't need. But I do need something that will remove the virus. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't find anything! (I'm running 10.4)

Thanks for your time.
    Scott

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

thats news to me ? virus hidden in our e-mails?

would like to know this one as well , anyone ?

3. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

According to CERT , the Melissa virus can not send mail on systems running MacOS; however, the virus can be stored on MacOS. My guess is that Melissa picked your email address from the address book of an infected machine, i.e. your computer is not necessarily infected. You should stell check your machine, you probably have the Melissa virus stored somewhere in your emails since you are in contact with clients that have potentially been infected (sorry - I don't know about free virus software for Mac OS X).

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Microsoft Word file?

You should be able to go into the Macros and delete all of them.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is an old WinWord 97 macro virus. To remove it, you need an antiviral utility such as Norton Antivirus, Virex, or whatever. Antivirus software does not cost hundreds of dollars. Just get the software. The virus is not going to remove itself.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Umm.. Melissa was a Macro virus for Word, which CAN infect you. well, not you, a Word doc. And it self-propogates via Outlook on a PC ONLY. So, if you're running a Mac, you're not infected with Melissa so that you're sending out copies.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=10132

I seriously wish they wouldn't call it a MAC.

I concur that it's probably someone else who is infected with it and it simply chose your email address as it's "from" address.

7. ScottM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically I'm hearing that there is nothing short of buying a virus software that I can do. We haven't used Outlook in the office for a long time now. So if I have to buy software... which one should I get? I've heard bad things about that type of programs causing more problems than fixing.

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

You don't have the virus. Chances are that someone else with you in their address book has the virus :cool:

9. ScottM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand I don't have a virus and it won't affect me... but I am passing it on to someone else. So I need to do something to get rid of it.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Just save the file as an RTF, then load that and re-save as a .doc if you really need it to be in that format.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You send a Word doc to the other fellow? Was it an old file from circa 2001? And he said it was infected? Then yes, antiviral software is the only way you're going to clean that infection from your very old files.

You can try ClamAV, it's free. I have no idea how effective it is. Look for it on http://www.versiontracker.com

12. ScottM2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... I've used ClamXav. It is a good scanner. But it doesn't have a remove function yet.

13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Ok, sorry I misinterpreted your message. You actually sent a doc to someone who said it was infected. Sounds like you do need to clear it up :eek: Freaking Microsoft is a plague. I can't wait for Apple to perfect iWork.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What country do you live in, anyway? In the US, no one pays more than $30 or $40 for AV software. Do you mean a net install on several machines? I guess I would recommend installing it and then getting rid of it after you do a sweep.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Who sent you the file originally. It certainly didn't get infected on your Mac, so the source must have the infection, which you're merely passing on inside the file. That's if the file truly does have Melissa, and the client didn't get a "you're infected!" spam at the same time, or something. Stop it at the source, where the infection came from, or else all the files you get from them could be infected.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is that, at least with older versions of Mac Word, the virus can be spread from Word file to Word file, on Macs, as well as PCs (that's also what Yellow's copy from McAfee indicates). But it's also my impression that Word 2003/2004 and other more recent versions have some kind of built in protection against these viruses? Anyone know, is that true or false?

17. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

My G4 is in a PC network where stuff like Melissa infected files are not entirely uncommon. I've found that ClamXav (available at www.versiontracker.com) is perfectly able to detect and quarantine the majority of virus infections that many PC AV applications don't even find.

ClamXav is free, updated regularly, and is even useful for scanning and cleaning shares on compromised PCs!