member participation rates

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by zimv20, Apr 24, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i just discovered this folding stat page.

right now, only 16.4% of people who've ever folded for Team MR are still folding.

i know there've been threads about how to increase participation, and i've got no grand ideas to contribute in this regard. but if we do have a "drive" or something, at least we can use the data on this page to calc success and, ultimately, the rate of its decay.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

We should seek new blood, and go after those who have since stopped!

3. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

OH! I think I'll join when I get to work Monday, my machine is up all week long, I just hadn't joined a team.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

My iBook is way too slow, the iMac sounds like a jet engine when it's folding, and the PM G4 takes a good bit of time, too. Maybe when I get my PM later this year. :D

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Whats wrong with the G4's :(

I have 3 G4 Processors running, one is housed on a B&W Motherboard

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I have some bad news guys... As soon as I get my 2005 FPW, I'm going to stop folding on my PB. Why? Well (a) I don't like the look of my targus coolpad on my desk, and now I'm going with a less is more look (b) without the targus coolpad, my PB fan runs 24/7. I'll still be folding on my Sempron 3000+, a P4 1.8 (sometimes) and a P4 3.0 (sometimes). Needless to say, my production has dropped alot lately, mostly due to a tinker storm...

So I'm sorry to say that my production will be lacking :(

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I (felixthecat on Folding@Home) will get back to folding when I get my new computer for graduatre school.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

G4s are slow for folding :( I've given up folding on my 1.25 G4 because my Celeron 633 does it faster! :eek:

The Celeron is switched on 24/7 and folds 24/7 :)

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have noticed that he code is terrable. My Dell D505 folds slightly faster one processor on my G5. Granted the G5 gets more WUs done because of one protien per proccessor, but the fact remains.

Oh well, even though we are slightly crippled, we still fold! :)

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Hey I have my old dual G4 450 pumping on both processors, it was that or leave it in the closet.

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

:)

that is all my G4 does for now.. I still love my Dual 533!! Granted I have only had it about a month now :eek:

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I no longer have (s)Tinkers. Is it save to say that the storm has passed? Now have a 1318. The 13xx series gives a lot of points for less effort. If everybody has them, we should see quite a boost in output for the next couple of days.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is exactly what I'm folding with currently. It happens to be my primary Mac.
    :)

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

i still love me ole duallie, but the new house doesn't have a good place for me and it yet, so I bought a 1.33 PB last summer for the kitchen desk and internet/email machine for the wife and I. I start finishing out my basement this fall (1yr behind) and it will include an office for the 'beeef. I am trying to pair down my stuff, but am having seperation issues with my tech stuff.

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

does that mean two dual G5's? :D
    I was a bit to early with my previous post, back to the (s)tinkers....

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

So I'm considering joining the, um, fold, but in reading comments about the processor speeds, I'm a little wary.

I've got a 1.25 GHz G4 iMac at home that I could throw at this, but how much benefit will it provide? I can also dedicate a 500MHz P3, for what it's worth.

Thoughts?

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a dual 450 G4, you can check out my stats. Have been folding for just over a year. Anything would be a help to the cause. It helps disease research and secondarily the MacRumors team. I wholeheartedly encourage your participation.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

Now if only we could do "MR@Home" where we donate CPU cycles to help out the forums server...

I appreciate the feedback - I'll try and get hooked up by this weekend and see how it goes.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you, your particpation it's really appreciated. It will also give you a feeling of pride. ;)

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Doooooew it, before long you'll be kicking my arse like everybody else. It has gotten a bit of a habit checking my postition and points. More fun than a root canal, I can tell ya that.

21. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I was talking to my mother today about Parkinson's in the family, and it inspired me to get back into folding after a long absence. I don't recall my old ID, so I made a new one, and I'm joined with the macrumors team this time. I got my powerbook (1.5GHz) and my old Powermac (350MHz) going at it right now, and I should be getting a dual G5 sometime in the next couple weeks, so hopefully that will help the cause as much as I can, and, with time, make a difference. keep up the good work guys! :)

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Congrats and welcome back to the fold! I too became interested because of an illness in my family.

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Welcome to the Fold!

Any help is great for the research, and to assist in keeping Macrumors in it's respectable position as compared to other teams currently knocking at our back door.

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Great to hear we are getting some new members!!!! :) Welcome guys!!!!

25. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I just had my beautiful PM G4 D1.25 MDD begin folding.
    As I see it, it doesn't matter what kind of machine you have; just let it work for the benefit of all of us. IMHO, I think you should look at the cumulative effect from all participating computers, instead of wondering if your "old" computer will make a difference.
    Just consider if we reasoned in the same way when it came to voting. We wouldn't have democracy then, would we?