Member Presidential Stumping Thread (Again)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mischief, Jul 14, 2004.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

A while back we had a little mock- presidential series of threads. We debated which member would be the best candidate if we, the members of Macrumors were a Party. We had members posting their positions on key issues, we refined the field, we determined a common stance, we agreed that a multiparty ticket was essential.

I'd like to do that again in light of all this debate over the elections. It will be a good exercise in realizing where we all really stand.

So let's start things off with nominations and opening platform positions per candidate. If a given nominee gets enough conversation in this thread to justify a thread of their own as a running "candidate", that member should start an "official" platform debate thread for themself. Please post who you'd like to see outline their positions on various issues and PM your nominee so they can post a response, either accepting and outlining a brief stance on "the issues" or declining.

Mods: Please feel free to kill this if you think it'll go south before it even gets started. I've been away from MR for a while and I don't know the current Trolling threshold.

2. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Okay, I'll start off....

I Nominate B2TM. He's consistently forced me to clarify my positions and I'm a better Patriot for it. He's managed to express Conservative idology in a manner that I can at least see the reason in, even when I disagree with the outcome.

I'll be PMing him.... :D

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'll second him, but only if he puts a few of us in his cabinet to keep tabs ;).

He's often smack dab in the middle of reasonable and practical American ideology and usually aware of where the civil rights that are untouchable lie.

It's just everynowandthen when his political filter clogs and he goes off on a tirade against a particular group or idea that is generally insignificant (like welfare recipients or federal taxes) that he'd need a good balanced cabinet to keep him steady and on course. ;)

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, I am flattered. I am very flattered. Well, I am conservative, but, I am a social liberal. I believe in common sense. I believe in government by the people, and without the fat cats of Washington getting richer.

I will field and answer any questions that arise. :p

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You, you will be the Secretary of State. You have the ability to talk to people, and can pressure when you need to, and be very politie when needed.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, I'll nominate Sayhey, our resident policy wonk and scholar, if only because I'm not old enough to have voted for Adlai Stevenson.

(In the name of party unity I am willing to overlook the SF Giants issue.)

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

"When needed." Ha! I love it! ;)

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll just be an impartial foreign observer...

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Although tempted to endorse BTTM, despite party differences...I nominate Jef.
    I believe everyone is familiar with his qualifications...

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thank you, IJ for your kind nomination. However, my previous commitments to the support of the hometown nine make it impossible to commit the mock resources necessary to carry out the enormous responsibilities of mock office. I must therefore respectfully decline and say "if nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve."

How's that for a political speech? Complete with stealing another politician's words! Besides if I try to move beyond the timetable of the PPP the personal risks are too terrible to contemplate.

PS - the first Presidential election I voted in was 1976. How old do you think I am, IJ? :eek:

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably the same as myself, ±1 year. Neither one of us are old enough to have voted for Stevenson. Now 'Rat OTOH hand probably is old enough, but I'd wager he didn't!

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sorry, I won't take that wager. I don't know with any certainty, but I'm with you - I'd bet on Ike. You are right about the age by the way.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Oh, we know all about you, Olde Europe. ;)

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hmmm...I would nominate wdlove, but he's too damn nice for the job. ;)
    I would nominate Jef, but he's yet to clarify his support for Billy Graham. ;)
    I would nominate Voltron, but unfortunately, he won't be unable to accept. ;)

I think blackfox has clearly and intelligently defended the liberal perspective around here, so I'll go ahead and nominate him/her.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not as Olde as some... :rolleyes:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Chill guys...Appointments are made to the cabinet AFTER someone wins, no? Let's get a nominee first! ;)

(no, I'm not actually taking it seriously)

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, although it is early in the game, it seems that BTTM is a favored choice for nominee, further solidified by his nomination of Jef as his VP (no word on acceptance), which co-opts my choice.

So the question remains, who can be nominated in opposition to this mighty juggernaught (spelling error or play on words?)?

I thank madchemist for the endorsement, although it would appear I am his fourth choice after some questionable company *ahem* . I would be happy to give it a shot, but franky, I feel I might be outgunned...still, it would be an interesting exercise, and I would give it serious thought...(oh, BTW, I am a "he")

I have also been throwing around the idea of IJ for nomination, as his arguments are well-reasoned and non-inflammatory, although perhaps he is too intellectual for the job... :D. Still, an opinion and person I deeply respect in these forums...Ugg is also someone in my mind.

To make things interesting as yet another candidate, perhaps Frohicky, fresh off his time-out might prove a viable candidate...

What say you?

19. vniow macrumors G4

I thought that was pseudobrit's position?

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Honestly, if you can get him into it. I would nominate Rower. He is very intelligent, a very dear friend to me. Someone I know, and trust.

Unless of course I am the other candidate, and then the mud slingging will commense ;)

Just kidding. I think Rower, or Jef would be great, and guys, I know this is for fun, but I have to say that I am very flattered by the support from those that disagree with me. That is very flattering. My wife nearly died when she read this thread tonight.

Thanks to you all it means we listen to each other because I know I have changed my opinion on some issues. So when people say these threads are bogus, nope. I have changed things in my life because of macrumors.

21. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Spoken like a true candidate BTTM...diplomatic, heartfelt and humble (w/ a sense of humor to boot).

BTW, I mean how I think a candidate should be...so I was not trying to insult you. :D I also think Rower would be a good candidate, although I do not know him very well, but figured his duties to this site would preclude him from the running...

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Has that decision been ratified at the special bi-weekly meeting by the simple majority required in the case of purely internal affairs?

Help help! I'm being repressed! <looks around> Did you see her repressing me?

23. vniow macrumors G4

Ooh, dirty.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Feeling cryptic today are we?...