Members Banned Statistics

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mscriv, Aug 29, 2013.

1. macrumors 601

mscriv

I've noticed a lot of folks banned recently or maybe they've been banned a while and I'm just now seeing it. Now, of course, per forum rules we do not discuss the specific nature of any member's moderation or banning. And, I'm not asking about any information regarding any specific member or the details surrounding any specific incident.

Simply out of curiosity, and seeing the other stats thread in this section, I wonder about the statistics of membership banning here at MR. I would love to see some general information broken down across the "bannable offenses" categories. For example, what offense is most often the reason that a member is banned? How many peopler per year are banned for X offense? It would just be interesting to see what negative behaviors seem to be the most troublesome in our community. As a social sciences kind of person I would think this information could prove helpful in seeking out ways to educate and shape our community members for the better. Maybe it could be added to the appropriate section of the FAQ and Forum Rules.

2. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Interesting idea. Actually, I'll go further: Some sad, atavistic impulse would prompt me to peruse such statistics, should they ever be posted here......

3. macrumors 603

mrkramer

It would be interesting to see, my guess is that the vast majority of bannings are accounts with only a couple posts that were created for spam purposes. As for long term members getting banned it seems like most of them are ones that are fairly active in the PRSI so it's probably them crossing a line in there one too many times.

4. Moderator emeritus

Putting my Doctor Q hat on for one moment, early statistical analysis has generated an interesting pie graph:

[​IMG]

= Breaking the Forum Rules

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Too hysterical! :D And true!

6. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

:D

But I think he means immediate ban, not ban after many times in the corner..

Some of us are on our last straw so it's no surprise.

7. macrumors 65816

ejb190

Awsome! I needed that laugh!

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It wouldn't make any difference. All bans are the result of breaking forum rules, whether they're broken one time or many times.

9. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

too broad, all people pay taxes, all people die the keys to are how much or how long

10. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is brilliant. Cue the sound of prolonged and sustained applause......:D Indeed, if there was an icon to indicate enthusiastic applause, that is what I would have added, here.....

11. Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

We don't have a way to collate aggregate statistics on ban reasons, although I can confirm that the vast majority of bans are for spammers.

We do gather statistics on post reports, but that's not quite the same (eg a report for spam is likely to lead to a ban, whereas reports for most other issues are less likely to).

12. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

I laughed too but doesn't the op mean WHICH rule was broken?

13. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It looks like a very useful analysis. I only wish I had color vision so I could understand it!

:D

14. mscriv, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Well played Blue Velvet, that was very funny. :D

You are correct. I know this is a sensitive subject, but I was just curious about it. I would love to know how much of a problem, (i.e. frequency) it is that people are trying to create a second user account or generally what percentage of our community has gotten the boot for being inappropriate in how they communicate with their forum peers.

Thanks for the info about spammers. I didn't even think of that as I assume most spamming is done by bots and not real people. Good to know.

15. macrumors 65816

m4v3r1ck

Is banning not the virtual equivalent for "The Naugty Chair"? ;-)

16. macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Nah, getting a thread in the Wasteland is ;)

17. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I believe Banning is more like..."Go away and don't come back...ever!":eek:

18. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I just have to post to say I agree, absolutely brilliant. :D

That's "time-out", the temporary suspension. ;) Banned is usually used for the extreme ends of the scale: a member who has one spam post, or the result of increased moderation escalation of a long period of time, where reminders, warnings, and temporary suspensions just didn't make a difference. But I guess it depends on how any one person defines the naughty chair. :p

If HexMonkey says it can't be done, then it can't be done, but I too would've been interested in this. So I definitely get why the question was asked.

19. macrumors 68020

pastrychef

How long does a time-out last? Are there any consequences to being placed on time-out multiple times?

Thanks.

20. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you read the Moderation FAQ?

21. macrumors 68020

pastrychef

Thanks for the link. Never even came close to seeing it.

22. macrumors G5

gnasher729

If you do any statistics, I think pure spammers should be excluded - someone who joins just to spam shouldn't be counted as a member at all.

23. macrumors G5

Macman45

:D:D Superb!

24. macrumors G3

roadbloc

That'd be a time-out I think. Banning is a final 'kbaidontcomeback' thing as far as I'm aware.

25. macrumors 603

I don't think it's completely final. The user named "eric/" was banned for some time, but his current status is "Guest".
    http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=617977

Just sayin'.