Memories of Judith...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Found this on Atrios' blog site. Another champion of morality succumbs to that which they despise in others...

From various Fox News appearances:

REGAN: Absolutely. I don't think there's any question. I mean, here's Hillary who's been standing by her man all these years and allowing him to behave in this reprehensible fashion.

REGAN: You know, look at Monica Lewinsky talking about being suicidal, being on antidepressants, you know, gaining this huge amount of weight. This is clearly a woman who has suffered and is suffering inside because she has no depth of feeling and no morality whatsoever. And so, I decided, after being involved in this ugly negotiation, which I found morally reprehensible, that we should make fun of the whole thing, and we should make a comment about the amorality of everybody.

REGAN: I would never tell. Unlike Monica Lewinsky, I keep my secrets and take them to the grave.

REGAN: I don't know. I mean, I think that they're going to move forward here, and I think it's alarming to me that the country is not concerned about having an amoral man in the White House.

REGAN: I said, "You know what? There's a really great morality tale here with a great, great moral lesson," and nobody's really said that.

REGAN: Well, partially, but it's also an "amorality tale" because the one thing that's missing from "Monica's Story" is, you know, deep thinking about her own amorality, which we saw -- was in ample evidence during the Barbara Walters love fest the other night. I mean, here's a woman who clearly knows a lot about sex, but knows nothing about right and wrong.

REGAN: You know, the amorality tale, "Monica's Untold Story," is about her amorality, and the amorality of all of the people in this ugly story. But one of the things that was remarkable about her two hours is her utter lack of sincere remorse. And in that case, I would say she is a true soulmate of Bill Clinton because the two of them -- she learned a lot about spinning. She learned a lot about publicity. You know, she learned a lot about changing her image. And she tried to do another Barbara Walters show, but I don't know if America's buying it. I'm sure not.

Ms. REGAN: Well, I think that the social fabric of this country has become completely unraveled. I think the sexual revolution had a lot to do with that. I think that we are in terrible shape. I think we have a country where half the kids are being raised by single mothers. A lot of that has to do with male behavior. We look at the men in this country who do not want to be accountable to their wives, do not want to be accountable to their children and we have as a president a man who could be a symbol of everything that is good; he could be a wonderful husband, he could be a wonderful father. He is in a position of great authority to show this country and to lead this country in a way that is much more important than economically.

Ms. REGAN: ...to this kind of fame, don't grow up thinking, You know, what I really want to do is to be a good citizen, to be loyal to my friends, to care about my neighbors, to get married, to be faithful to my husband, to have a family.' These are not the things that we're teaching.

Ms. REGAN: We can conquer others with force but to conquer ourselves we need strength.' And this is really what we need in America today. We need to conquer our own impulses. We need to understand that we can't act on them all the time because it feels good for us. We have to care about the other.

Ms. REGAN: Let me tell you something, my father has never cheated on my mother, my brothers have never treated cheated on their wives. I come from a big Italian Irish Catholic family and I have to say that for the most part, they have not cheated on each other. My brothers were virile...

Sadly no transcripts exist of the Fox show she hosted for awhile.

Judith today.

Former New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik conducted two extramarital affairs simultaneously, using a secret Battery Park City apartment for the passionate liaisons, the New York Daily News has learned.

The first relationship, spanning nearly a decade, was with city Correction Officer Jeannette Pinero; the second was with famed publishing titan Judith Regan.

His affair with Regan, the stunningly attractive head of her own book publishing company, lasted for almost a year.

The tumultuous Regan-Kerik romance carried on for months, through the writing, publication and promotion of his autobiography, "The Lost Son: A Life in Pursuit of Justice," which Regan's company published.​

If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

On a side note, it's a bummer to see another otherwise qualified candidate done in by a nanny scandal he probably had no idea about beforehand. Are affairs and illegal nannies STILL torpedoing good applicants? Are we expecting saintly behavior from polititians?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Kerik apparently had problems other than an illegal alien nanny and quite possibly more than carrying on two extramarital affairs simultaneously. The administration obviously didn't vet this guy very carefully. It happens.

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Agreed, and the more we find out about this guy the less thrilled I am with him. But I'd rather fight over those issues than affairs and nanny issues. Those just seem trivial to me. Corruption and abuse of power? Different story, but this nomination was publicly sunk by an illegal nanny and 2 affairs.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Those were the public reasons. I get the impression that there might have been more to the Kerik story.

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i say any man who can have a wife and two mistresses should be running the c.i.a....

obviously, he does his best work undercover.

sorry.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I love, I just love seeing the Morality Police hoisted up on their own petard. I don't know much about Judith Regan, but based on what you've quoted here, she sounds like another Jim Bakker/William Bennett/Rush Limbaugh hypocritical jerk.

Even throwaway comments like saying Monica gained "this huge amount of weight" are mean-spirited. Makes it sound like Monica went from 130 to 300 lbs. or something.

As far as Kerik goes...well, so much for Rudy Giuliani's judgment. (Giuliani recommended him to Bush...another guy with no judgment.)

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

ME TOO!!

Even though I simpathized with Rush's drug problem, I admit that I was gleeful at the fact that this jerk, who had been railing against people with drug problems for YEARS, got a taste of what it was like to have a problem.

And the sad thing is that I don't ever think he apologized for saying those mean spirited things about drug addicts. Do you appply those nasty standards to yourself, Rush?

I think the point here is that what Rush and Regan are doing on their entertainment shows has little to nothing to do with what they really believe in. They are selling an image to an audience with a very predictable set of core beliefs. Those beliefs include a strong sense of "right" and "wrong". In order to be appealing to these people, Rush and Regan must put on a show and cater to their audience.

The sick thing is that people have no idea that the whole thing is one big show. They listen to Rush, get their ideas reinforced and never question Rush's motives the whole time. Then, even after he is proven to be a big, fat hypocrite, they still go back. Sickening.

I constantly question what is right and wrong. I wonder if people listening to Rush ever do...

Taft

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing too was that when I went to look this story over on the FAUX News website, there was no mention of Judith Miller in the Kerik story. Fair and Balanced until one of our own is involved negatively I see.

It was hanging time when Dan Rather used faked documents to accuse this president, yet Miller used faked morality to accuse Clinton and I've yet to hear a conservative decry what whe did.

Talk about a conservative media bias...

And IJ, you are correct there was a whole host of other issues that make me feel Kerik was not a good choice for DoHS. Things like using NYPD to search for Miller's cell phone after it went missing during an interview (now we even know why he was so eager to find that thing), his possible connections to the mob, his inability to get Iraqis trained, and others. But the public will remember that Kerik was sunk by an illegal nanny and his affairs. Neither are, by themselves, things that would prevent him from doing his job. Now the rest of it I find much more compelling of a reason to not consider him. But I'm really tired of potentially good candidates done in by an affair or a nanny problem. Those are lame reasons to use, unless you can't manage to seperate your private and public lives. Something like using cops to search for Miller's cell phone certainly cross that line. But generally the way Gingrich and Packwood? went down, as well as Clinton and Zoe Baird was pretty crappy IMHO.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hypocrites.

It's one thing to have your demons, but to make a carreer out of criticizing others for crimes you yourself are commiting. Any truly moral person who believed any of the hate-filled crap that spews from these pundits mouths daily, should at least have the decency to call their own people on the lies and faux morality. I don't see how anyone can stand behind someone who says these things, then does them themselves, let alone stay loyal to them. That makes the fans hypocrites as well.

Those who live in glass houses people. And I actually kinda liked this guy. Now they're going to hire some yes-man to screw everything up. The new person will probably be guilty of all sorts of things too, but I bet we never know 'til it's too late.