Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbrown01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
KY
I have a 500MHz Dual USB iBook.
I bought it with 384 MB of RAM and a 10 GB HD.
Basically, I'm waiting for a G5 PowerBook.
In the mean time I would like to have a better experience with my iBook.
I love my iBook but it is almost to the point of being annoying when trying to do more than one thing at a time.
Plus I'm down to 1.35 GB of space on my HD and would love to purchase the new iLife.
I often find myself using my Windows machine because it can get the job done.
So, my question comes in three parts...
1) $137 for 512 MB at Crucial to upgrade to 640 MB of RAM. Good idea / Bad idea?
2) $115 to get a 30 GB refrub HD. Good idea / Bad idea?
3) Should I just suck it up, hold out for the PB and save my money?

Thanks,
~Steve

i wouldnt hold my breath for the g5 powerbook to come by summer. although i hope i eat my words. that being said, if u really cant stand ur ibook anymore just spend some cash on upgrades, you wont regret it and byt he time the g5 pbook comes out ur ibook will have so value so you sell it or still use it as a secondary machine

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Why don't you get an external FW HDD? That way, you'll alleviate the space restrictions you have now, and you'll also be able to use it when you buy the PM G5.

But I think you should save up your money and wait if you can. It'll be worth it.;)

*edit* PS- Crucial RAM is great. I've never had a problem with them, and they have super fast service.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Get an external FW drive that you can keep using in the future, you can even put one together for less than $100.

RAM always helps, if you can sell the module in the iBook, that makes it cheaper to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.