memory buying question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by busasa, Feb 2, 2004.

1. busasa macrumors member

I know that most people here recommend using crucial memory, but how about kingston memory. They also have specifically made PB12" 1GHz 266 sodimm, so how reliable are those memory compare to the crucial's. The price between crucial and kingston for 512ram is about 30-40 CAD cheaper for crucial, so I don't know which one should I get. The biggest concern is that I can get kingston in canada, but will have to order crucial from US, and I don't know if it worths the trouble of getting it through custom.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

people recommend Crucial because of the lifetime guarantee. It is often cheaper too. If it has a lifetime guarantee - go with the Kingston - they make good chips.

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Kingston is good stuff. And it does have a lifetime warretny. I have crucial in my powrbook and kingston hyperx in my pc. not a single problem with either.

4. advres Guest

advres

go here and pick the cheapest ram that has a lifetime warranty. simple.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

A number of problems have been reported with 1 GB sticks from Crucial, though the rest of their memory is supposed to be top-notch. Search some of the forums on this.

(512 MB sticks are supposed to be fine, though - just ordered one myself.)

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just make sure u get ram with a warranty so that way if anything goes wrong ur not stuck with a dead chip

7. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

The other factor besides a lifetime warranty is guaranteed compatibility.

Crucial guarantee's it'll work in the machine you buy it for. You can sometimes have problems with the cheaper ram.