Memory cost for new iMac low again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Artful Dodger, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, just wanted to let some folks know it's nice to be able to put 2-1gig sticks into an iMac. The cost is about $130 for a 1gig stick on the Crucial web site, which is a better $$ than that 2gig stick cost ($390-600) not to mention only one slot on the Rev.C iMac.
    Anyway good move to get two open slots again and not jut one.

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Crucial's website says the new iMacs can handle only 2GB RAM max total. As there is already 512MB in there, you cannot use 2 sticks of 1GB memory. You'll have to go with 512MB + 1GB. (G5 version could handle upto 2.5GB max.)

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Sorry, another website claims that the base 512MB memory is not soldered, so you may be able to remove it to place your 2 sticks of 1GB each. Anybody with more info?

3. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm getting $150.99 for a 1gig stick for my rev. b imac.
    is that a good price? haven't ever investagated prices before

4. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Check out RAMseeker. For opinions (there are many) on on the retailers / vendors / brands, run a quick search of these forums. General rule of thumb: you (almost) can't go wrong with Crucial, but you can certainly have perfect RAM-buying experiences from other places for less. I bought a 1GB stick for my rev B iMac for ... around $110-130 from Newegg, Patriot brand (not listed there last I checked) but I took precautions to ensure it would work in my iMac (since it wasn't guaranteed by Newegg).

Thanks for the heads-up on that 2GB tidbit, Artful Dodger. I don't seem the new iMac's RAM type (PC2-5300) listed from any other vendors, or on the PC side of RAMseeker.

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

is it worth the upgrade?

i know most people on here recommend more ram, but for an average user is it necessary? i don't do any heavy work, and usually will only have an internet, aim and maybe itunes or some such program open. will i notice any recoginizible difference that is worth the money?

6. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Does anyone know if the RAM for a Rev. C iMac (the latest PPC iMac) will work with a Rev. A intel iMac?

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I always say that 1 gig is the sweet spot for any user. You will notice a difference from the standard 512mb.

You can never have enough RAM. :cool:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it's pretty clearly not soldered -- you can BTO it with 2x1GB or 1x1GB as memory configurations. ;)

I too noticed the relatively reasonable RAM prices. Nice. Although I think you can still do better if you use the lowest cost reliable vendor from dealram.

I wonder if 2GB 667 modules work in this iMac?

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

iMac Intel Memory Wrapup:

The iMac Intel Core Duo uses laptop RAM (DDR-2 667 MHz SODIMMs), and is completely unlike the preceding iMacs. You cannot use any memory from any prior Mac model.

It has 2 memory sockets an no memory soldered on. It delivers with either a single 512 Mb SODIMM or a single 1 GB SODIMM depending on model.

You can add a 512 Mb or a 1 Gb SODIMM to that -- RAM does not have to be matched. In order to take a 512 Mb machine to 2 Gb, you will remove the 512 Mb and install 2 x 1 Gb SODIMMs. You can then sell the 512 Mb to a MacBook Pro owner, because the intel Core Duo 'powerbook' uses the same memory as the iMac Core Duo.

If you are in the USA I recommend Data Memory Systems who has the RAM in stock as of Jan 12 for US$108 per 1 Gb SODIMM, which is a great price. Crucial has it listed for about US$130, Kingston hasn't listed it yet.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Wow... Apple's prices for the RAM is actually competitive? 1 GB was only a $100 (and you have a choice of having a 1 gig stick or 2 x 512 MB sticks!)

Maybe I should've upgraded the RAM in my BTO...

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Not exactly: note that it costs $100 to add 512 MB bringing the total to 1 GB from Apple, while you can spend in the neighborhood of $100 to add twice as much (add 1 GB, bringing the total to 3x the original) if you buy from a 3rd party. That said, Apple's RAM prices do seem to be less of a rip-off than they were a few years ago.

I was more than satisfied by adding an additional 1 GB to the 512 MB baseline of my iMac--a total of 1.5 GB is plenty for me and should be for as long as I own my rev B.

12. brain21 macrumors newbie

Is this the same stuff? PC2-5300 DDR-2 667.

1Gig starting at $66 (1st 1Gig listed is the 2nd one down)

http://tinyurl.com/7cblw

Brain21