Memory for 2012 MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by truelies, Aug 14, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

2. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I added this to the same MBP and have had zero problems. Was a great deal at the time on Amazon for only $114 :)

4. DTF
    macrumors member

5. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

$5 more for better ram with tighter timings, I recommend the Corsair.

6. DTF
    macrumors member

I've heard of more problems with the corsair than Crucial.

7. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive heard the opposite. Its all hearsay

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

10. DTF
    macrumors member

Timings are worse with the Corsair than the OWC. OWC is the better performance.

After spending more than 2K on a laptop it's funny when people balk on memory cost.

11. macrumors member

U will change your mind after a few kernel panics and adventure to find trouble free memory.I have pass through that path,and 50$ is nothing for a peace of mind.owc got also lifetime warranty

12. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive never had kernal panics on any memory, Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, GSkill or Geil.

13. macrumors regular

xAgustinx

So, should I buy Crucial? Or OWC is better?

In my country I can buy Crucial, 16 g, for 215.

14. macrumors Core

miles01110

15. macrumors member

Trust me it is definitely worth it, especially since it's the only RAM you'll ever buy. Might as well think of it as a long, lifeterm investment and put out the extra $50.

16. macrumors member

I just bought the Corsair off amazon, free shipping and 8 dollar tax. Can't really beat it at the moment. Newegg is selling it for 115.

17. macrumors 68000

I did the same thing yesterday. Signed up for a free trial of Prime and I should have it today or tomorrow. Corsair is a reputable company, I used to run their XMS memory in my gaming rig without issue.

18. macrumors regular

Been running the Corsair Vengeance since June 14 in the new cMBP you see in the signature line.

This RAM has posed no problem at all. I run the hell out of this MBP and the harder I pushed it the harder it worked and pushed everything through it.

In my 2011 similarly configured MBP I used the Corsair 16GB for that machine (not the Vengeance RAM that is configured for the 2012) and there were alot of people all over that said that this cheap memory was gonna ruin that machine, well in the 7 months that I was running that memory I had zero issues, no beach balls, just smooth sailing. In a few threads about that Corsair memory I asked for facts with details on exactly the damage that it would cause using Corsair and those threads never got a reply with any facts and details. The only difference that was factually with details was the cost of the Corsair vs the OWC other expensive "kool kids" brands if it is very important for you to be part of that club.

As for the Vengeance RAM, 10 to 12 hour days 5 to 6 days a week with this memory of very intensive MBP use I have had no issues, no excessive fans coming on, no excessive heat and everything seems very normal considering all the editing, rendering and outputting I am doing. Temp under rendering while working on a video is usually 128 degrees and then when I am outputting the video the temp will go up to about 150 degrees and the fans will run anywhere between 5300 to 6000 rpm.

19. truelies, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe we don't need 16gb memory on MacBook, it runs great on 4gb. Seems mac needs less memory than windows. I believe 8g is enough.