Memory for iBook G4 1ghz

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sgt chaos, Dec 13, 2004.

1. sgt chaos macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I did a search for this topic, but couldnt find one, so apologies if it has been answered in the past.......

I have finally come back to the Mac scene, after 3 years of abuse from WindoZe machines and I need to increase the memory in my iBook from the stock 256mb.

I cant afford a 1gb chip at present :( so have to plumb for a 512mb, now, here is the question (at last!!!)

Can i stick a 512mb SODIMM PC2700 in there instead of a PC2100??? as I am finding PC2100's are becoming a bit limited in stock where i live.

Thanks guys.

2. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

sorry no one has replyed faster. i will start off by telling you that i have absolutely no idea.

however!, i do know that with older iBooks (i have a 500Mhz model) you are supposed to use PC100 sdram cards (which it doesnt take advantage of with the pookie 66Mhz bus speed) and i have a stick of 512MB PC133 and it workse like a charm.

assuming that they are the same size....i cant see why it wouldnt work. dont expect to notice a performance gain or anything, but at the same token it should work just as well as a stick of the recomended speed.

again, i dont know, you should probably verify this with someone that knows more, but if it were mine...i would give it a shot.

3. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Hi! I am successfully running a 512MB PC2700 module in my 1GHz iBook G4. The boys at the "Genius Bar" told me it would be fine (although it would throttle back the speed to PC2100).

I got it just in case I want to pull it out somewhere down the road and stick it in a better notebook.

4. sgt chaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up guys, found a very reasonably priced 1gb chip, so I think i will pumb for that option, might as well go the whole hog in one go :D