Memory for my 12" G4 iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 10, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

OK, since i'm stuck for the moment with no new computer, I might as well spend the $50~ to upgrade the RAM in the iBook. DD has been using it daily too, and even though what she is doing isn't that taxing - bumping up to 640 will be noticed.

BUT, I don't "get" what I need.

http://support.apple.com/specs/ibook/iBook_G4.html This is the one I have.

Apple says it uses "DDR SDRAM", Crucial is coming up with PC2700 (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iBook+(G4+800MHz)) and Newegg is just confusing me. NONE of them are using the SDRAM name. So do i not care about the SDRAM part and just concentrate on the DDR part?

All i want is a brand new MBP..... sigh.....

Thanks -
    tracey

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

3. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I ended up buying PC2700 at Office Depot today. I had a GC for their, and with the mail in rebate it wasn't anymore expensive.

Can't say that i notice it's faster - but i haven't done much since this morning either :D

4. volvoben macrumors 6502

Indeed, speed is not increased with the addition of ram. Instead of thinking of it as a 'speed increase', think of it as a 'speed won't decrease'. The processor isn't any faster, but when things get tough (lots of apps open, working with big file, graphics or video work etc.), you won't slow way down by using the HDD as memory. I suppose you already knew that, but for some reason I felt the need to point it out ;)

Usually people aren't really upset about their slow computer, just the slowdown their computer experiences with it uses the HDD as memory. My poor parents' 6 year old 733mhz PIII PC was unbearably slow, but when i tossed in some old PC100 sticks I had and raised the ram from 128 to 640 they decided they'd be fine for another few years at least (somehow the $1400 iMac I suggested just didn't seem so tempting after the free ram sped things up).