Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbusse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I have a newish powerbook g4 15, I got it with 512mb memory and it performs ok, a little sluggish.... the 512mb is comprised of two 256mb simms...

Should I upgrade? What kind of impact should I expect from more memory?

Can I get a 1gig sim and end up with 1256mb machine? If so, where would be the most reliable and cost effective place to purchase this? Any tips on making sure I get the right thing?

Thanks
Jim

jbusse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
on some systems you have to have both simms be the same size, if thats not the case here, Im ordering tonight from Crucial~ pls just tell me I can match a 1gig and a 256mb and it will work... thx

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
jbusse said:
on some systems you have to have both simms be the same size, if thats not the case here, Im ordering tonight from Crucial~ pls just tell me I can match a 1gig and a 256mb and it will work... thx

i would say to just buy 2 - 512 dimms. a GB is more than enough, i would say. and it would be cheaper than the 1 GB dimm and i don't think you will see that much of a difference in performance.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Applespider said:
I didn't think I'd ever put the whole 2GB into the PB.

EVER ?????

how many people thought they'd never see a laptop having 1GB memory when the titanium powerbooks were introduced? it only took two years and it became standard (meaning: nothing to brag about) ram configuration among multimedia creators.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Since no one answered the question, no you don't have to match the ram. Only in the Powermac G5 (in terms of current models anyway) do you have to match ram. Slight correction as well, the ram is in DIMMs, not SIMMs.

asmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2004
BTW adding another 1GB of ram is not going to help your powerbook performance unless you are doing multimedia/photoshop stuff.

However, going from 512MB to 768MB will help your performance. And chances are the FSB will have changed by the time you buy a new laptop so you'll be buying memory all over again.

jbusse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
The last post where someone says adding 1gig of ram will not help unless Im doing MM is kind of depressing... with 512mb I'm finding it sluggish.

I decided to get 1gig stick and add it in with a 256mb stick .... I'm really hoping I see the wait wheel less and hear the drive grind less.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.