Memory in eMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Declan, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Declan macrumors member

I have just bought a 512MB SDRAM 133, CL 2.5, now the 128 thats in it is CL 3. And thats the only one it will pick up. I know you cant mix Ram with different CL rating but should the 512MB work being 2.5?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think CL can be mixed. at least, that's the impression i got from crucial. (however, the performance will be the highest (slowest) CL rating.)

how many black chips does your memory have on it? the default one in eMac has 4, so you need a non-parity memory.

if your memory has the number of chips divisible by three or five, then it's a parity memory and will not work...

i assume you got 168 pin?

btw, the eMac i'm talking about is stock 1 GHz.

3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

you should be able to mix different CL rating will just function at the highest one
    try just using the new crucial stick, the extra 128mb isn't a lot and will slow all the ram down since it's cl 3

4. dec macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Kingston model KVR133X64C3/512 512MB will work in the eMac?

5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Just buy memory made for your machine. I did a price comparison search between the KVR (which is the generic memory from Kingston) and the KTA-G4133/512, which is made and tested specifically for the eMac. The price difference was $1.00. Do yourself a favor, buy the memory designed for your system and enjoy it.

6. Declan thread starter macrumors member

Well in the end i bought it, i got a bargain price, and it works, so i am off now to get some more of the same to make 1GB Ram, here in the uk 512MB from crucial costs £80, and i paid £40, so i can now have 1GB for the price of 512MB from crucial. Im happy.

7. Declan thread starter macrumors member

And from just having 128MB, everything zips, including games, that makes me very happy...