Memory "issue"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cgnjny, Jul 10, 2004.

1. cgnjny macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2004
    Hi all --

I currently have a G3 iBook purchased in 2002 and installed a memory upgrade to 384 following the purchase. Obviously, there was a great speed increase and less "wear" on the HD as there is a lower need to access cache constantly.

I am trying to perk up this computer once again yet don't want to invest in a new Apple just yet... if I upgrade to the max of 512 megs, will it make much a difference between the two?

I know this question might sound a bit inane, but don't want to upgrade if there won't be a significant "need". I am running 10.2.8 right now, planning on going to Panther (and possibly Tiger)... will the upp'd memory help that as well?

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    Well more RAM always helps.

At the moment you must have 128MB built-in and 256MB in the user accessible slot for a total of 384MB.

You can upgrade to 640MB by replacing the 256MB stick with a 512MB stick.

Personally I think you'll see a noticeable improvement with 640MB, I think 512MB and above is when you see the swap space being accessed very little. It'll be a bit pricey to upgrade but you can always sell the 256MB stick on eBay to make a little of it back.

Try running this program
    Do I Need More Memory to see if you'll benefit from more RAM.
  3. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

May 25, 2004

Panther makes a big difference, I must say. Although I have found 256 MB far too little to run Panther efficiently, I will tell you that Panther will boast a great perceived speed improvement over Jaguar. I've used Jaguar on an old system, and it was excrutiatingly slow. After I installed Panther, it seemed much quicker. My boss uses Jaguar, and her computer (although it boasts a good processor) seems far less efficient than mine in many tasks. I agree with the previous poster; upgrading to 640 MB total RAM would be a wise choice.

Mike LaRiviere
  4. cgnjny thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations and especially the memory checking app :)