Memory Maxing Out Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wdcglobal, Apr 11, 2006.

1. wdcglobal macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2006
    Hey I’m having a weird problem with my memory I have 1.23G of memory and within a day I’m maxed out. Whenever I restart and check activity monitor it shows only around 300mb used the next day it maxed. Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

P.S. All the processes are staying the same, they are not growing in size and new one’s are not showing up.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Maxing out memory -- what do you mean by that -- how are you measuring it?

The only thing that really counts is to check your Page Outs. If you are getting 100,000s of page outs in a short period after rebooting, then its a problem you have to address probably with more memory.
  3. howesey macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2005
    OS X handles memory different to other OSes such as Windows for example. It keeps things in memory, therefor loading from RAM rather than your HDD. 'Free' on OS X is meaningless.

Yup, you need to check page outs/ins.
  4. theheyes macrumors regular

Mar 8, 2006
    Remember your 'free' memory is both Free (Green) and Inactive (Blue).
  5. wdcglobal thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2006

well right now i have 52750 page ins and 0 outs is this normal. please go easy on the dumb question. i'm new at mac i've been a pc windows guy since birth i just found os x kills windows.
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    You're doing page outs is the ideal situation. Your memory is chugging along just fine. Just keep an eye on it. A few page outs are fine, but you don't want a lot of them.

Edit: I'm currently typing this on an old iBook Dual USB with 384 MB RAM...I've got 52387 in and 13088 out. I could probably use a bit more RAM in this machine, but I'm not going to invest the money in such an old machine at this point. I checked my main computer (PowerBook with 1.5 GB RAM) last night and had ~200,000 in and 0 out.
  7. berg macrumors member

Apr 12, 2006