Memory Memories...

Discussion in 'Community' started by eRondeau, Nov 25, 2004.

1. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

A local computer warehouse is selling name-brand 1GB USB 2.0 flash drives for $150 Canadian for Christmas. Which got me thinking....

In 1990 I bought a state-of-the-art Amiga 2000 with a GVP 68030+ accelerator board (at a blazing 25MHz!). I added 4-MEGAbytes of RAM to populate the board. It needed some fairly fast RAM for its time, for which I paid apx $250/MB. My shaky hands wrote a check for $6,000 for the A2000 system (which wasn't nearly as painful as the $3,000 Amiga 500 I bought two years earlier!) I even got the "big" 80-MEGAbyte hard drive which I thought I could never possibly fill. In 2004 my Amiga is almost old enough to drive and it still works great!

Now it seems to me that a GIGAbyte equals 1,000 MEGAbytes, so in 1990 a GIGAbyte of RAM would have cost $250 x 1,000 or a QUARTER MILLION DOLLARS!!! Pretty amazing when you put it into perspective like this.

Any other similar comparisons come to mind, as computers have advanced over the last 20 years?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you don't even need to go back that far... when i think of the iMac DV 500 that i bought for around 1600 or so before i went to college- and how 1600 now would get me a flat panel g% iMac, i shudder...

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

The first computer I was paid to work on had 32768 bytes of memory. Thirty years ago a 32k upgrade cost about $10k, or $100k now (inflation adjusted). That's around $3 a byte (in today's $). So if a GB is roughly a billion bytes ...

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

In the 1960s, "core" memory cost a buck a byte. Which, oddly enough, is two bits for two bits!

Imagine paying that for the RAM you have today. You'll feel like a billionaire!

5. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    A2000?? damn you! i had an Amiga 500, then I sold that quick when i heard about the A1200...i put 4MB of "Fast RAM" in that, so along with the 2MB of "Chip RAM" i had it maxed out at 6MB!!! Woo! That cost me about £300 i think. I also bought an 80MB hard drive for it, cost as much as the computer that did, mind you it was a 2.5" drive as that was what fitted inside...

I do remember buying the 100MB ZIP drive when it came out too, I was amazed at the storage capacity of that thing! I had to drive a few miles to a guys house as he was the only one that had written any drivers for the thing too. crazy times! haha

6. raynegus macrumors regular

My first computer was an Atari 400. It had 4K of memory. I wrote many great programs on that machine in Basic. But 4K of RAM! That isn't even enough for an icon under todays systems. I still have the thing too.

My brother gave it to me. He was always ahead of the crowd. He got one of the first calculators. I remember him saving up for it and describing it to me when I was a little kid: "pretty soon I'll have a machine where you can input numbers and it will add or multiply them for you!"

That was about 30 years ago. I'm 35 now. Geez, what will they have another 30 years from now?

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Yeah, I remember when I used to code on Dbase and write on Wordstar and Qpro, and had 4 MB RAM ... wow that was crazy, then a friend came with 8 MB and I bitched a bit to him because who the hell is going to use 8 MB... 8???? Come on, can you believe 8 MB? Now I have 768 MB and planning to upgrade to 1.25 GB ... my kids will laugh at 768 MB in a couple of years and will roll on the floor because of the 4MB ... not to mention that a 3 1/2" floppy was difficult to find and damn expensive ... :D

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

1986. Mac Plus. 1MB RAM=$800.00. And I had to ship it to Philadelphia to have it done.
    No tears... that Plus made me the Mac user I am today, and ran all the books for a pretty successful business for years afterward. In my office I have an original mac, M00001, that was GIVEN to me a few years ago. It originally went for I think $2,300.00. While not an obviously great inventment, I have to say the real return can't be figured in dollars.