Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I've got the Apress book on iPhone dev, and I noticed this bit of code (I've modified/cut it down a bit to keep it short/simple):

Code:
if (...some condition...)
  msg = [[NSString alloc] initWithFormat:@"Blah %@", someObj];
else
  msg = @"Blah blah";

...some code...
[msg release];

Isn't the unconditional [msg release] incorrect? If we just assigned it to @"Blah blah" then we haven't really allocated anything, so there's no need to release it, right? Maybe the code should've done msg = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:mad:"Blah blah"]; just to be safe?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Isn't the unconditional [msg release] incorrect? If we just assigned it to @"Blah blah" then we haven't really allocated anything, so there's no need to release it, right? Maybe the code should've done msg = [[NSString alloc] initWithString:mad:"Blah blah"]; just to be safe?
Yeah, when assigned to @"Blah blah", we haven't really allocated anything, but releasing it in that case does no harm. You can't overrelease something (i.e. nil ignores a release message). I believe the reason the code was written this way, as well as plenty of other bits of code in the book, was more to try to keep the code simple and not necessarily to demonstrate better coding practices. I think something to that effect is mentioned early on in the book.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You can't overrelease something (i.e. nil ignores a release message).

You can over-release something. If you release something but do not set it to nil and then release it again, it is an error. So if you have this code:

Code:
NSString *msg = [[NSString alloc] initWithFormat:@"Whatever"];
[msg release];
[msg release];

msg is NOT nil after you call the first release. msg still points to the same memory it always has, only now that memory is no longer in use by the app, and calling release again is incorrect. I'm messing around to see if it will actually cause an exception/crash and it doesn't seem that it does, but it is still incorrect code.

In this case msg = @"blah blah" creates an autoreleased string so it is an error to call [msg release] in that case unless you have explicitly retained msg first. It might not cause the program to crash but it can cause undefined behavior.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
In this case msg = @"blah blah" creates an autoreleased string so it is an error to call [msg release] in that case unless you have explicitly retained msg first.

Technically, if you're simply assigning a constant string to a variable without using any other NSString method, the string is not autoreleased and never will deallocate.

For example, after these three release calls, str is still valid:
Code:
NSString *str = @"Hello World";
[str release];
[str release];
[str release];
NSLog(@"str: %@", str); // still works
You can confirm by looking at its retainCount, which will be INT_MAX.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Technically, if you're simply assigning a constant string to a variable without using any other NSString method, the string is not autoreleased and never will deallocate.

Ahh I had no idea, I assumed they were autoreleased rather than just statically allocated. Well that changes everything then!

I still feel like the code from the book is bad form though.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I still feel like the code from the book is bad form though.

I agree. Here's how I'd do it if msg was a local variable:
Code:
if (...some condition...)
  msg = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"Blah %@", someObj];
else
  msg = @"Blah blah";
If it was an ivar, just add [msg retain] afterwards.

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Ahh right, since stringWithFormat is a convenience method, it autoreleases. Good thinking.

PS, what's an ivar?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Instance variable:

Code:
@interface Foo : NSObject {
  NSString *msg; // ivar
}
@end

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.