memory purchase G4 and the future

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sotied, Nov 11, 2003.

1. sotied macrumors regular

Just bought a 512 and a 256 chip from Crucial. I only got the 2100 as that's all the Dual 867 G4 I'm running needs.

My question:

Should I have purchased the 3200 RAM just so I'm ready when I eventually go to a G5 or should I just leave the additional memory in my G4 (it'll be two 512 chips and two 256 chips = 1536 I think) for resale value and to make the next owner of my Mac smile?

Thanks,

J

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: memory purchase G4 and the future

Assuming that the PC3200 would work in your G4 (which I've heard it will, but have no first-hand experience), I'd still say you're better off with what you've got and a slightly better resale value.

It seems it's just easier to sell a maxed-out box than one with the bare minimum--the potential buyer is going to feel like he/she will be getting everything necessary, rather than to then have to go out and upgrade their used computer.

Besides, by the time you get a G5 you might end up with a next-gen model that doesn't use PC3200, and prices on RAM will probably have come down anyway, so you won't be out a whole lot.

3. sotied thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly my thought

After thinking about it, you're right on. I got the 2100 and will just get a maxed machine when I buy my next one.

Likely a book of the i or power variety.

J