Memory Question: 1 DIMM or 2 DIMMs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jesuisme, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jesuisme macrumors member

Hello All,

I'm about to jump into the Mac world and purchase a 1.25GHz G4 PowerBook 15". The forum has been very helpful in answering all of my questions except one regarding RAM:

I want 1GB of RAM in my PowerBook. The question is whether I should get 1 DIMM with 1GB or 2 DIMMs with 512 MB. It's cheaper to get 2 DIMMs, but I suspect that 1 DIMM will give better performance. Any bits of guru knowledge and/or links with definitive information are greatly appreciated.

Dear Mods: Forgive me if I'm off topic, but this seems like more of a hardware issue, rather than just a purchasing question :)

Peace,
    JeSuisMe

jesuisme == Je Suis Me != Jesus Is Me ;)

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

performance won't matter. the only advantage to having 1 GB 1 DIMM is that you will have a slot open.

i personally think the price of 1 GB SO-DIMM is too high to justify it right now. i'd get two 512 DIMMs for now and upgrade later when prices come down.

3. sparky76 macrumors regular

I would always try to get 1 DIMM instead of 2, so you can upgrade later. When even your new PB looks slow, more RAM will give it a new lease of life. If cost is no object, I say get 1 DIMM, but 2 is certainly cheaper, and I cannot see there being any performance difference.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

to get two 512 DIMMs would cost around $250. if you wanted to order 1 GB 1 DIMM, it's around $450, last i heard. the price difference is $200 or so.

i'd bet that in a year or so (probably shorter, 1 GB SO-DIMM has come down in price from around $1000 to $500 within the last year), 1 GB DIMM will drop to around $200 in price. if that happens, get it then and you will have 1.5 GB for the price you pay right now for just one 1GB DIMM. (and you can sell the leftover 512 MB too.)

15" has two slots - why not take advantage of it while you wait for the prices to come down?

5. jesuisme thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the initial responses, especially about the price and upgrade paths.

My question was more directed to the hardware issues of:

1. Will 1 DIMM will give better performance than 2 DIMMs ?
    2. If so, by how much? Is tthe performance difference noticeable?

I plan on using my powerbook as a desktop replacement --running simulations, doing graphics programming, coding in general, and playing games like UT 2003.

Thanks Again,
    JeSuisMe

jesuisme == Je Suis Me != Jesus is me ;)

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

there should be little or no performance difference. it's just a matter of same memory being split into two or not split at all.

in general, 1 DIMM is preferred only because it enables one to have more overall memory. (i assume you knew that.)

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    if it was a desktop, then i'd say go with 2, but with a portable, i'd go with 1 Dimm, it'll be easier to upgrade later should you need it.

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well it depends what you plan on using your Powerbook for. Two sticks of 512 for a total of 1GB should be more than enough even if you do plan on using professional apps. Just in the event that you feel you need more RAM, there being only 2 slots, one DIMM will be without a home.

9. justswitched macrumors newbie

i would get 1-DIMM, thats what i ordered, that way since ram is so cheap, u just have to buy a 512 stick for around 100 bucks...but its moreso a matter of ideology because the performance will still be equivalent

10. beerguy macrumors regular

Technically 2 DIMMS should be faster then just one single DIMM as the banks can be interleaved. In practice that difference will never be noticed.