Memory Stick issue, can someone help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someguy, Apr 9, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, wasn't sure where it belonged.

We have a Sony CyberShot camera that stores its images on a 128MB Memory Stick card. The problem is whenever we delete photos from the card after plugging it into a card reader, the available space doesn't increase like it should. Even if we delete everything from the card, it still shows the same remaining capacity.

The only way we have found to get our space back is to move everything off the card onto one of our computers and run Memory Stick formatting software.

We used to be able to simply delete the pictures and re-use the space for other things. What happened?

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

What I found out with my Sony camera if I delete the pictures from the Memory stick and unplug the camera the pictures are still on the stick. Your Mac places the files in the thrash can. If I empty the thrash after deleting files from the memory stick the files are gone for good.

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I will try that with my Mac, thanks.

The same problem occurs on my PC so just in case this doesn't work, does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

4. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Is your card reader USB? I'm not that familiar with those reader, do they come with drivers? Maybe you need a firmware upgrade?

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yes, it is USB. I could try a firmware upgrade. We have two card readers (both USB) and they both do the same thing.