Memory upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nick9871, Mar 11, 2007.

1. nick9871 macrumors member

Oct 3, 2006
    Not sure which path to take.

I currently have 1 gig (2 512's) in my mac pro and I can really notice performance drops when using Matlab(I know I know) in parallels, FCP, and especially Aperture.

I am on a bit of a budget. Should I get a 2 gig OWC kit and then have 3 gig's, or should I get a 1 gig kit and save $100 bucks and just run 2 gigs for a while.

Guess I should probably just bite the bullet, eat cereal for a month and get the 2 gig kit.
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    If you can afford it, I'd say go for the more RAM. There is a point of diminishing returns for what you're doing, of course, but 3GB is a pretty solid amount.
  3. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    My god your running those apps on 1gb :eek:

Get the 2GB extra - trust me you will need it. Even with 3 GB (my config at the moment) Apeture is a evil resource hog - so much so I've switched to Adobe LightRoom.
  4. slicedbread macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2006
    I found that too: was running a parallels VM with 1gb ram, I was left with 1gb in OSX. Loaded up LR, and my system TANKED. HDD was thrashing like hell, all responsivity went, was cut off mid skype call, and I had to wait for LR to finish thrashing before I could quit it and get control back!

Ram Ram Ram!!

NB. to OP: get as much ram as you can afford now. However since there are alot of ram slots on a Mac pro, you have alot of flexibility concerning future upgrades. Its not like one upgrade now and you max out your slots.