Memory Upgrade Help for a Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by boleiro, Dec 8, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Looking to finally add some memory to my 15" powerbook G4 1.67 to hopefully squeeze another year of life into my powerbook before I fork out for a MBP.

Everywhere I look, including apple, the specs given for my machine is PC2700. When I look at the current module in my powerbook it is reading as follows:

Speed: PC2-4200S-444

Can someone tell me if this is correct and I should be get the 4200 and not the 2700? I bought this powerbook years ago used, so I don't know if someone replaced the memory incorrectly?

I'm looking to max out with 2 2gb sticks so i will be taking out the old module.

thanks for any info.

2. macrumors 601

alust2013

As far as I know, the max memory is 2GB. 2x2 will definitely not work.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, made an error in my post, meant I intended to max out with 2 1gb sticks. my bad.

4. macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha. I would just get the memory type that apple specifies, I'm surprised the other kind actually worked.

5. macrumors 68040

California

The 1.67ghz Powerbook came in two different revisions.

The last revision had a high resolution screen and was the final Powerbook G4 ever made. It took PC2 4200 Ram.

The revision prior to that, had a lower res screen and took PC2700 ram.

If your machine has the first type of ram, get that. I am not sure you can upgrade to four gigs, but that would be an interesting experiment.

6. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all, I will get the 4200 then. It just really threw me off when apples spec sheet doesn't say anything about that. At least, I didn't see it. I know someone will post a screen shot of the info on some support page somewhere.

thanks all.

8. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Your chipset will only read 2gb max. You can install 1x 2gb PC2-4200 or 2x 1gb PC2-4200 sodimm modules into your G4 Powerbook. Whatever you can find the cheapest I'd get.

Now throw in a larger/faster HDD and you'll be all set, if you haven't done so already.