memory upgrade in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yuy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. yuy macrumors member

Hi, all

I plan to upgrade the memory for my pb12 to 1.25g.

Initially, I intended to buy from Crucial UK. But recently I found the price of 1g stick has risen from 120 to 135 pounds. not so cheap, hu?

I looked it up in www.ebuyer.co.uk, and find:

1.Kingston 1GB SOdimm Id Apple. 100 pounds
    Apple PowerBook G4 15-inch 1.0/1.25GHz (PC2700); Apple PowerBook G4 17-inch (PC2700)

2.Crucial 1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 200pin SODIMM 128mx64 for notebooks. the price is 90 pounds.

This I am afraid is not guaranteed for powerbook.

My problems is that is the kingston memory stable for Apple?
    I used to buy one KVR memory and it works fine. what about this one?

And are there any alternative memories? or alternative website that is cheap for crucial memory in UK?

Thanks in Advance.

Yu Yuan

2. witness macrumors 6502

I just looked at the crucial website and a 1GB 2700 sodimm is £91.64 inc. VAT.

I have never had any problems putting memory in mac's so long as it is the correct spec.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Umm... to me it's £135.11 for a 1GB powerbook upgrade on crucial... Something fishy going on? :p

I have also noted a rise in iMac's memory costs too. In fact by about £10! What's going on here?!?!

4. yuy thread starter macrumors member

I guess this is not guaranteed for apple powerbook.

Although when the specification matches, the problems seldom occur, just in case.

5. yuy thread starter macrumors member

yes, surprised to see the price increase when other memories price is falling :mad:

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have a look on Kingston's US site and find out the code for their PB 1GB module. Then go onto kelkoo or pricerunner and see what the cheapest UK price for that part is. Kingston's memory is lifetime guaranteed. It's only their Value RAM that isn't guaranteed to wowk with Macs.

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Try www.offtek.co.uk or www.dabs.com/uk. Some good stuff in there for RAM upgrades. Kelkoo has been quite helpful but seems to list totally unrelated stuff after the first page.

8. yuy thread starter macrumors member