Memory upgrade of Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mlvenan, May 8, 2005.

1. mlvenan macrumors newbie

I just bought a 12" powerbook last week (1.5GHZ) with the 512MB of RAM. I want to upgrade to 1.25GB of memory, which would require me buying a 1GB memory upgrade. I'm deciding between buying it through Apple for a hefty price, or buying Kingston memory for about $250. Has anyone encountered problems upgrading the memory using Kingston or any other third party vendors? Any help would be appreciated!

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

That's too expensive. You'd be bettero ff buying from a thrid party vender - i.e. datamem.com.

3. Chasealicious macrumors member

Chasealicious

Apple + Crucial = Ripoff

I'm on my third Apple notebook in a year - no problems, I've just sold/traded a lot. In each machine, I added RAM from newegg.com, which is FAR cheaper than Crucial - much less Apple. I added 1 GB to a 17" PowerBook, 256 to a 12" iBook, and 512 to a 12" PowerBook and have had no issues whatsoever, nor has anyone else I know who has purchased from newegg. Desktops too, I've added a gig to a G5 iMac from newegg as well. Most chips come with a lifetime warranty, so you have no real concerns. Prices, just to make you drool:

1 GB for 17" PowerBook - $160
    512 MB for 12" PowerBook - $55
    256 MB for 12" iBook - $24
    1 GB for 17" iMac G5 - $90

That's just what I paid, you may be able to get even cheaper. Don't waste your money on Apple RAM. I've purchased from crucial once, and there is no performance difference whatsoever - the difference is purely on the price tag.

4. GULCkid macrumors member

Thanks

On newegg.com, how do we find what kind of RAM I need for a new 15" PB? It's asking me for Manufacturer: Type:Capacity: Speed:Cas Latency: oltage:ECC: Registered/Unbuffered:

Also, can it be a problem to have 1GB in one slot, and 512 in the other? Do they have to be even? Also, does it violate the applecare to put third party RAM in?

5. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

The 15" PB's use PC2700 (that's DDR333) chips, CAS Latency 2.5, Non-ECC.

You can always go to Crucial's website, and use their memory finder tool, then take the details from their site and use them to find what you want elsewhere. :)

6. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Try crucial.com. A lot of people here use Crucial, including myself and I can't complain! No problems at all and ordering was pretty fool proof.

7. JasonL macrumors regular

Crucial is expensive as well. I've bought RAM from both Crucial (pre-enlightenment) and DMS (suggested by the first response in this thread). DMS' prices are much better while still offering great service. 1GB at DMS will run you between $155-$169 depending if you want to go generic or Samsung.

8. GULCkid macrumors member

Is it bad to have 512/1024, or should it always be even, like 512/512 or 1024/1024?

9. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It doesn't matter, unless you have a Pwoer Mac, in which case you need to install memory in pairs. For Powerbooks it doesn't matter. You can put anything in either slot. For example I have a 256 and a 1024.

10. darkwing macrumors 65816

I just upgraded to 2 gb of ram for my 17" rev C pb from www.macramdirect.com for $404 including overnight shipping. I ordered Samsung "apple OEM" sticks. They also had a generic brand for about $60 less for a pair. You can buy them individually. Ordered Wed night, shipped first thing Thurs morning, and I had it on Friday!

A PC friend is buying my two sticks of 512 for $120, so the upgrade cost me $284 basically.

Good luck,
    Steven

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Good -- Except you can get the very same Samsung modules here http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1153 for $169 each

12. fradac macrumors regular

13. GULCkid macrumors member

What's considered to be the best quality brand under $200 for 1GB?

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Samsung are the brand of 1 Gb Apple uses in Powerbooks: the Samsung modules are available from most online memory vendors who support Macs, including the ones mentioned in this thread.

I'll go on record (yes, again) as saying that for most Mac owners, and especially new owners, it is not worth the risk of buying PC generic RAM. Yes, sometimes it works and you save $20. But buying from a reputable vendor who guarantees Mac compatibility is less risky.

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

16. deelerious macrumors newbie

1GB for $134.99

I just got this 1GB stick a few days ago for my new 1.5 GHz PB 12" and it's been working like a charm. Total RAM now: 1.25 GB. If you do get the RAM, it comes with a freebie notebook bag. Make sure you check the box for the customer appreciation gift, I almost missed it.

Read the reviews on it at newegg, there are lots of people that bought one for a PowerBook and posted their positive experience with this particular RAM.

Edit: I just noticed fradac also posted the same deal

17. jonomo macrumors regular

I bought the kingston 1 gig stick through fry's/outpost when they had the $110 deal.. and it worked fine...

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

found this discussion with a search and am looking for buying advice.

Bought a refurb eMac for my mom and want to add 512 of ram. I was hoping I could just add a 512 stick?

I also want high reliability cause I will not always be near my mom's house to explain kernel panics, but I dont feel like be a sucker at apple's prices. will check newegg and others for some samsung. But can I just pop in a 512 stick in an eMac?

19. sammyman macrumors 6502a