Memory upgrade???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laure, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Laure macrumors member

I have a question....I have and love my g3 but it only has 128 mb of memory and I would like to get e memory upgrade so I canI need to get a new install some of the newest software. The guy at the computer store told me I really need a new computer, mine works just fine and I only use it for fun. I think he was tring to get business because he is the closest mac reseller or service plan in 600 miles ( Ilive in the middle of nowhere). He told me he could upgrade it for $450 to 512mb. I think he is trying to take advantage of me. To make a long story short (I didn't really so that did I). Is there anyway I could purchase a memory upgrade online somewhere and install it myself? I'm not to technical, but I am also not a complete idiot.

2. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Memory installation is easy and fun. I never let anyone do my installations for me. More importantly, unless I'm buying a 2GB stick of ram, it will never cost me more than $200 (Canadian). So, you tell me precisely which G3 computer you have (PowerMac, iMac, iBook, PowerBook), and the processor speed, and I'll tell you what type of ram you need (Get it from a standard PC Reseller), and how to install it.

3. Maekel macrumors newbie

try looking on this site http://www.crucial.com/store/listProductLine.asp?cat=RAM&mfr=Apple&submit=Go

I wouldn't of thought it would be a problem installing it yourself but it depends what model you have. Some are a easier than others. I find you have give it a harder push than feels comfortable though. It's important to get the angle right too. check the Apple support pages for details on how to install it.

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Crucial is not a particularly good, or cheap source for memory. Because of the way they set up their configurator, you can end up paying more for ram that is for a specific machine, than for that same type of ram, listed by type. I would generally go through the supplier we use at work (CEC), but failing that, cheap generic ram is pretty easy to find. With your machine, the memory is going to be older, which means that it will cost more to buy new. Memory is a commodity market. The prices fluctuate based on supply, and supply is based upon demand. So, in an age like this one, far less people have a demand for the older types of ram you will need, and as such, less of it will be produced. So, that which is produced is offered at a higher rate. Wholesalers (such as Crucial) are stuck with this floating rate. End user retailers who stock memory have bought it at some particular price, and have either marked it to current market value (Big box retailers), or have marked it up with a standard margin based on the memory's specific cost (Most smaller retailers).

My point is that if you can find a smaller retailer who brought in some of the ram you need some time ago, and has it marked up from its cost, rather than to market value, you will get it much cheaper than Crucial, or other such wholesalers will sell it for.

But, as I said, you can literally tell me the specific type of machine, and processor speed, and I can tell you the memory you need. I could even tell you the CEC part number for it. My memory configuration skills are kinda creepy with regard to G3 and up Macs.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Crucial has great RAM. IMO no one is better (but many are on the same level). They also have excellent service. You do pay a huge premium for their all around great service. And the reasons that prices are different are because you are getting RAM specific for you machine. The RAM listed by type is not always the same RAM shown by the Advisor Tool. This is especially true when dealing with Macs. There are many other specs that can be required that most people overlook, such as number of chips on a stick or voltage. The Adviser guarantees working RAM for your system.

Having said all that, look at Datamem.com. IMO they have the best compromise of service, quality, and price. Plus they have lifetime warranties and they guarantee Mac compatibility. Actually, compromise was a bad word. You are getting top notch RAM with them, there really is no compromise.

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I've used quite a bit of Crucial RAM in my Macs and in other people's Macs and its great RAM. They may not always be the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

I have a Crucial 1GB Kit (2x512) in my Dual Core PowerMac G5 right now and they're running great. No problems what do ever....

7. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

You see, the reason I don't (and won't) use Crucial memory, is because it's just rebranded Samsung or Micron original. This is the stuff that I buy, for a fraction of the price, and with much better service (Lifetime Warranty). The difference? Most wholesalers require you to rather know what you need, and retailers can help you with that. Crucial tries to do the end user job themselves, and charges a premium for it. Why pay the premium when I know what I need? Further, why pay the premium when a reseller can easily tell you what you need, at no further charge?

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well were not talking about your needs now are we... Were talking about someone who needs help choosing RAM and Crucial is good RAM for his needs. Don't assume everyone knows anything and everything about their RAM needs. Also, Crucial RAM has a lifetime warranty on it as well....

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Laure: Please tell us which specific G3 model you have...

10. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

mklos, did you not read the bit about how it's going to be much cheaper, and just as effective to get ram from a retailer that's had it sitting around a while? Why pay market value, when it's unnecessary? No, we're not talking about my needs, but Laure has asked US what type of ram to get, and how to install it. Is it really best to fob him off on to Crucial's site, or to tell him what he needs ourselves? Yes, we need to find out what machine he has, as I did ask in my first post.

My point is, if it's SO-DIMM that he needs, a 512 stick brand new is going to cost an awful lot. They're barely in production anymore. Used, or from someone who's had it for a while, much cheaper. Even if we're only talking SDIMM, there's very little remaining production. Crucial may fit your needs, and not mine, but it certainly doesn't appear to fit Laure's at this juncture.

Now, regarding the Crucial issue, I've said my peace, and it's detracting from the purpose of the post. So, I'm dropping it.

As I've said before, and as CanadaRam has said: Tell us what machine you have, Laure, and we'll help you out.

11. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Here are some other places I get RAM from:

www.4allmemory.com
    www.memorytogo.com

Both are guaranteed to work with your Mac and have lifetime warranty on the RAM. Both a CHEAPER than Crucial...

I don't always buy from Crucial as yes, they're usually more expensive, but every once in a while, they're not any more expensive than other places depending on what you're looking for.

The so called "RAM Experts" that we seem to have here probably have other sites that are just as good....