Memory VS Processor Speed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by M. Malone, Aug 4, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    I have a 12" G4 powerbook, the 1ghz model with 512 memory, I wanted to ask is there a big difference between the 1ghz znd the 1.33ghz?

I plan to upgrade my memory to 1 gig, cause I want my laptop to be faster, is that the right thing to do? I mean sometimes when I open a folder or program it is a bit slow when opening, is my answer more ram?

explain to me the difference between processor speed and memory please..thank you
  2. macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    My G4 iBook 800/640Mb felt marginally slower when performing intensive tasks on this 1.33 12" PB, but I only have 256 in here now. It runs quickly until the memory runs out, when it suddenly becomes as slow as molasses.

More memory = volume of running applications at optimal speed. Bumped CPU = increase in speed while memory can handle it.
  3. macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    When you are working with your programs, is the computer accessing the hard drive a lot? If so, then more RAM will probably help, otherwise it is more CPU you want.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    thanks for your reply....ok, so tell me this...sometimes when I open a folder, the contents get displayed a bit slow, do I need more memory or processor speed?
  5. macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    if you only have one or two apps up, then you need more processor, if you have 4 or more apps then you might need more RAM, 512mb is a good amount. A gig is a little overkill if you're doing basic stuff, but the more you put in there, the more Panther will eat it up. And yes, there is a difference in processor speed, your 12" has a front side bus of 133MHz and DDR 2100 memory, while the 1.33GHz model has a 167MHz Front side bus, and DDR 2700 memory. So you also get a faster, more efficient machine, not only clock speed wise.