memorytogo.com vs. crucial....also what adapter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stevietheb, Jan 19, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Howdy all,

I see a lot of folks saying that if you're going to buy RAM then go with Crucial.

Has anyone used memorytogo.com? They seem to beat Crucial's price by $20+ on all the 512MBs that I'm looking at. Is there a reason why I should choose Crucial instead?

Also, if I'm planning on using my current PC monitor for a new iBook, what adapter do I need?

Thanks!

2. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

I haven't used memorytogo, but I have to second the recommendations to use Crucial. There is a premium, but the service is worth it. I called a few years after getting a module for my iMac because of a memory error. Lifetime guarentee, no problems, they cross-shipped me a new memory module and I got it in a couple of days. I wouldn't use anyone else.

3. zeebee macrumors newbie

Aside from the service aspect, it's like everything else in the world.

Q u a l i t y

You get what you pay for.

4. blvdeast macrumors regular

According to memorytogo,

" Seller's memory has a lifetime warranty against defects"

So you would get the same lifetime warranty, but

"NOTE: All returns for refund, exchange or upgrade for order that were placed on-line without the assistance of a Memory To Go employee may be subject to a 25% restocking fee at the discretion of Memory To Go management."

So if you order, order by the phone to avoid that. On the record they seem good, we just don't know if they stand by it.

When I get my iBook, on wendesday, I was planning t getting the 512 chip from crucial for $107, but they have it for $88 with $6 for shipping. A nice savings, anyone else had any exprience with them, they seem pretty good.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've used Crucial at home, and we've used it at work. I've never seen any issues - except on a dropped computer, but you can hardly blame Crucial for that. :D

Memory problems are not uncommon, so it really pays to be careful. Crucial manufactures their memory, while MemoryToGo is a reseller. If it were me, I'd go with the manufacturer - they have a stellar rep. I haven't dealt with MemoryToGo at all, but I've had enough experience with lowball resellers of various products that I personally am wary now. A lifetime warranty is a good thing, unless a lot of people end up having to use it!

Having said that: if you decide to go with MemoryToGo, please keep us apprised of your experiences with their product.

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Re: memorytogo.com vs. crucial....also what adapter?

You don't need to buy an adapter if your monitor has a VGA connection; the iBook comes with a VGA adapter.

To enable monitor spanning, run the script found here. It's safe and it works. Otherwise you'll be limited to mirroring.

7. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I went with Crucial...buying my first mac is gamble enough for me! haha.

Thanks for the info on the adapter...I'll be running the spanning hack as soon as I get all my software installed and everything running just like I want it to...I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE!!!