Men who wear pink

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why is there so much opposition to men wearing pink? I thought that it became acceptable like 10 years ago.

It's just a colour. Girls can wear blue, and guys can wear pink. It's not like pink is inherently a girl's colour, while blue is inherently a boy's colour. It doesn't make sense. :confused:

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I have no problem with men wearing pink except it's way too 80s for me.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have a pink dress shirt. I receive many compliments on it when I wear it!

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

5. bartelby macrumors Core

... of being a Miami Vice fan.;)

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

maybe because pink looks so bad one so many people regardless of gender?

I don't like pink clothes or wall paint or bed sheets.

I dont care what people wear, its their choice but I don't like when people get me clothes in colors that may be in style but clash with my coloring and make me look half dead.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Personally I think pink looks much better on some men than on most women, but it doesn't suit everybody in my opinion.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I remember reading somewhere that pink was once considered a manly hue, while lighter blues were seen as the sort of thing that girls should wear. From what I recall, this was considered the case well into the last century.

EDIT: Here you go...

"If you like the color note on the little one's garments, use pink for the boy and blue for the girl, if you are a follower of convention." The Sunday Sentinal, March 29, 1914

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl." Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, maybe up North!;)

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A number of the sources in the link are from American publications – we certainly wouldn't have wasted good coin on coloured baby clothes oop north, you know. ;)

I remember too that, in the early days of football, pink was a very popular colour for team strips – what with it being such a manly colour and all that. You wouldn't catch my Jaffatar™ dead wearing it, though. :D

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah, that explains it!:D

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Beats me!

I personally like pink shirts and have some. So does my wife.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Oh, I almost missed that you wrote "shirt". :D

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Pink can look really good. Purple can be a bit much though.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

faded pink t-shirts look bad, pink shirts can look good mind

[​IMG]

16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I was talking about this while walking around Bluewater with a friend the other day. Even young boys are being dressed up in pink tops now and it just looks wrong.

Perhaps one in five guys we saw was wearing something pink, usually a pale pink but sometimes much brighter. One couple were walking along with her in a bright pink top and him in a pale one, my eyeballs nearly started to bleed.

In baby terms yes, blue is boy, pink is girl. However, after that blue does not remain 'boys only'. Action Man isn't blue. Pink, however, is barbie, it's my little pony, it's just a girls colour through and through.

Men: Don't wear pink.

17. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I've often wondered why pink is called pink and not pale red :confused:

I can't think of any other colour that changes it name totally just because its mixed with white.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

Black and grey :D

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's like: "Look, I am so macho and so comfortable with myself that I can even wear pink. Check me out, I am such a stud!" It's almost like a statement, and a somewhat arrogant one at that. Hence, rather unappealing.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

Or "All the trendy magazines tell me to wear pink and as I have no imagination or sense of style I like what I'm told to like"

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

In my opinion blokes wearing pink just screams "I'm a sissy metrosexual" to me. I think it looks silly. Yes, I don't like sissy metrosexuals.

And yes, it's just a colour but that doesn't mean it's not a crap colour. Fluorescent "80's" green and similar colours are also crap and shouldn't be worn unless you want to look like you entered the pub in 1985 and haven't left since.

22. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i have a few shirts in pink and i get comments on them everytime i wear them without fail. the good thing is that it gets you used to talking to random ppl. also, girls love it. like really love it, i dont see why it should be rewarded but hey ill take it.

23. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You must REALLY hate Pink Flourescent socks then? :D

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Sooo MUCH!!

25. Queso macrumors G4

Pink shirts and ties are very fashionable amongst the London business community at the moment. It's only a problem when the two are combined, which seems to be becoming more prevalent. One or the other is fine, and look good with a dark suit, but never together.

I like pale pinks and have both a formal shirt and a T-shirt in that shade. The more extreme pinks (Barbie like, if you will) are definitely to be avoided though. They only work if contrasted with other completely different colours using stripes and such.

Mind you, where officially does pink stop and other colours such as Burgundy begin?