Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keeping it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I honestly cannot believe there is so much concern about what color phone men have or are going to get.

Because deep down lots of blokes do feel it's a feminine colour, but really want the new phone to "show off" or just have the latest thing that's special.

I asked my wife how she would feel if I got the RG and her reply was quick and to the point - "NO. Embarrassing. It's a woman's colour."

This is Japan so there is a far stronger demarcation between feminine and masculine along traditional lines, but it was kind of funny that for somebody so casual about most things, she was firm on this.

I was never getting one as I personally think it's a lairy colour. Most lairy colours are hard for the majority of blokes to pull off if they don't have sartorial sophistication or aren't celebrities.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Because deep down lots of blokes do feel it's a feminine colour, but really want the new phone to "show off" or just have the latest thing that's special.

But what does that have to do with anyone else? If someone wanted to buy a certain color just because it was the latest, why should anyone else care? Is that person hurting others by making that choice?

Reactions: DoofenshmirtzEI

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
But what does that have to do with anyone else? If someone wanted to buy a certain color just because it was the latest, why should anyone else care? Is that person hurting others by making that choice?

Because for many (not all) the intention is based on the perception of others. They want people to notice them. Therefore you can't expect people not to judge when you yourself have based your choice on wanting to be noticed.

Reactions: moneymike0284

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I asked my wife how she would feel if I got the RG and her reply was quick and to the point - "NO. Embarrassing. It's a woman's colour."

This is Japan so there is a far stronger demarcation between feminine and masculine along traditional lines, but it was kind of funny that for somebody so casual about most things, she was firm on this.

I was never getting one as I personally think it's a lairy colour. Most lairy colours are hard for the majority of blokes to pull off if they don't have sartorial sophistication or aren't celebrities.
yeah

alot of women i've spoke to him the same feeling..right or wrong.

my mum bought the rose gold and GF just ordered the rose gold..so i can see why people would think so.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Because for many (not all) the intention is based on the perception of others. They want people to notice them. Therefore you can't expect people not to judge when you yourself have based your choice on wanting to be noticed.

Basically, you're saying that they just want attention. If that bothers you so much, then why keep giving it to them by talking about them at all? Why not just completely ignore that they exist and deprive them of the attention that you claim that they seek? Then you can sit there and tell yourself that you're "the winner" and that you are better than they are. (And honestly, isn't that what this is really about?)

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
90% of iPhone users put a case, so why the big HYPE about Rose Gold? Remember the way the iPhone is designed, it is so damn slippery you have no CHOICE but to put a case on it so you can grip it by the edges and not be scared it won't fall out of your hands. So in the end nobody will know which color you have if it's white in front(Gold, Rose Gold or White). Of course if it's black in front, everyone knows it's the Space Gray. :cool:

Reactions: Sekelani

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
would love to see some pics - like street-style paparazzi shots of guys w/ the rose gold phone.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I'm a dude and I've already been criticised about having a rose gold 6S plus. Im not the type of brother to care about what others think. What kind of life would I love if it were based on the thoughts of other people?
I'm glad I got this colour cause it's a sign of the new iPhone 6s Plus.
Go figure lol.

Reactions: phillytim

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Basically, you're saying that they just want attention. If that bothers you so much, then why keep giving it to them by talking about them at all? Why not just completely ignore that they exist and deprive them of the attention that you claim that they seek? Then you can sit there and tell yourself that you're "the winner" and that you are better than they are. (And honestly, isn't that what this is really about?)

haha... Mate, easy, I think you're the only one getting bothered here. And I was just trying shed some light on possible reasons why people might be getting the phone. But if you disagree, that's cool, no need to start getting aggressive about it. Because really, do I think I'm better than some bloke with a pink phone? That's just carrying on like a bit of a goose.

But if you look just above, Sekelani has illustrated my point perfectly. Just sayin'... He's being honest about it. That's cool.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
No doubt when Apple comes out with a color (with a black bezel!) that I like, and I decide to get it, there will be so many people in here telling me, "You're just getting it so people know you have the new phone." I was tempted to pull the trigger on the Rose Gold, but the white bezel and the fact that it doesn't really look as Rose Gold as I would like killed that.

Sure, some people buy phones based on what other people will think of them, but most people just buy what they like. After all, there are still plenty of people buying gold and silver phones.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
My boyfriend and I didn't care for the color. It looked bubblegum pink 90 percent of the time. Did a swap for gold today, and he got the silver. Much better.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Mines legit

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Keeping the rose gold. Rocking it naked all day every day so that the pink can shine through in all its glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.