Mentally Challenged People

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey Guys,
    I dont know why Im typing this but I just saw a mentally challanged person on the street and I almost cried. I dont know why but I started to think about the times Ive made fun of them and it just tore my heart apart! Sometime I like to think they dont notice and it makes their life easier not to know what people say about them. It makes me SICK sometimes how people stare at them at make fun of them, people should be more aware and tolerant. I guess im just typing this to get this off my chest.
    Thanks for reading.

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I totally agree with you and know how you feel. My sister has a learning disability. It's not retardation, but she lacks social skills and she is a slow learner. I almost beat the crap out of a kid who made fun of her. I wish everyone could just see what it's like.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can't stand it when my cousins or whoever make fun of mentally challenged or physically challenged people. its sad. everyone deserves respect at least until they shown that they don't deserve it.

people do need to exercise more caution when dealing with those that are less fortunate.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Glad that you see it is not funny to make fun of people. Well as you know the world is in fact not a bowl of grapes so there will always be fools making fun of stuff they do not understand....Glad to hear that you understand though.

Bless

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Totally agreed that we should be tolerant, that we should celebrate out differences, that we should all treat each other equally. Most reasonable people would agree.

But to be slightly contrary, I think we can't ignore that making fun of those who are different from us is an essential part of our own identity development -- of recognizing differences and of defining self. When a kid makes fun of someone -- for whatever reason -- we've gotta keep in mind that that kid is often attempting to make a declaration of their own normalcy (against personal insecurities, among other things!). Which isn't to say we shouldn't tell kids NOT to make fun of others, but which is to say that we should equally attempt to develop in kids a reflective attitude that will allow them to step back from their own actions, and say, as Patmian just did,

in other words ...​

If human beings weren't so stupid we'd never learn. ;)

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i do feel bad for them but i have a story where a child with not working legs(i have no idea why or how). Its his mother i got mad at, not him(he was about 5)

My friends and i were in a Moon-bounce, and the fan went so its air went out, i was the last one of the old kids still in it, i was holding the whole thing up so it would not fall(and possible killing him because he could not have gotten out, and would have trouble breathing in there. So I'm standing hold the whole moon-bounce up, and the lady(kids mom) is yelling at me "Sea-world, get him out, Sea-World" i had a sea-world shirt on, but did even say ''kid the the sea-world shirt on'', or anything nice or even try to be nice. After the kid got out(i believe he was laugh when he got out) she said nothing to me, she walked away like she did nothing wrong and she ignored that i help her kid

7. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I thought this thread was about PC users until I read the post.

But I have a question. Can we make fun of Normal folks who act and do retarded things? I reference Carlos Mencia, and his views on stupid people. Which I happen to share.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I absolutely hate it when people say idiotic things about handicap people, or even joke about them.

On the other hand, I'm not really a big fan of making fun of anyone's weaknesses either, so it's not just those who make fun of handicap people I hate.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was thinking that the people who make fun of them are the truly mentally-challenged people.

I worked at a department store where a boy wanted to buy his mum some fragrance for mother's day. The grande dame couldn't be bothered to help him because he couldn't speak correctly. (She couldn't speak all that well, either.) I worked with him and found him something nice for his mum. Really, it wasn't much more difficult understanding him than the rest of the people in Indiana. :p

Have you ever tried to ride around in a wheelchair in public? People are obvious to anything that is not right in front of their faces.

I'd been out with one co-worker/friend to lunch and to DisneyWorld etc. and people are just stupid. Chili's non-smoking section was up some stairs but the hostess didn't even notice that this was a problem. People in public will put their bum right in your face, especially at DisneyWorld.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I read an interesting theory once on why so many people ignore the disabled. When we are young and there's a wheelchair, or someone with palsy - our natural reaction is to look and question why. Our parents tell us not to stare. Is it any wonder that we all grow up thinking that we better not stare so ignoring is an ingrained reaction?

11. mr.know.it.all macrumors newbie

mr.know.it.all

Honestly though, if you're in a wheel chair, do you really need a smoke? Seems more like the last thing you'd want to do is smoke. But maybe that's just me.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But most people are also taught not to make fun of others but do so anyway, so to blame this sort of thing on the parents is too easy. Better to blame society.

We probably ignore handicap people because when we look at them, deep inside we all feel guilty that we can't help them, and even if we wanted to, we wouldn't know how to deal with "people like them." Or how about being scared that we could have ended up like them just by some unfortunate genetic lottery.

Sometimes, I'll try to look away....I mean, really try not to look at him/her at all.....like they don't exist. :rolleyes: And then there's the part of me who worked for the March Of Dimes and provided morning care (ie: get him up in the morning, shower him, let him go to the toilet, put some clothes on him, and feed him......all in 4 hours) several years ago for a fellow 2nd year university student who suffered from cerebral palsy and was confined to a wheelchair.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

We had to go to the smoking section because it was impossible to reach the non-smoking section, where we wanted to go. Sorry that I wasn't clear about that. The hostess didn't seem to notice that the wheelchair didn't go up steps.

14. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Same with me. Even my brother and I would never point out or make fun of each other's weaknesses (he has a slight studder, and I was kinda fat/nerdy), even in the heat of battle.

I'm way too empathetic to make fun of anyone, unless they're being an a**hole. I feel bad if someone slips on ice, or drops something. Making fun of people only furthers the pain or embarrassment. Why the f*** do we need to make the world any more worse than it already is?

Everyone, do the world a favor and teach your children not to make fun of anyone, for whatever reason.

(sorry, I need to cool off)

15. mr.know.it.all macrumors newbie

mr.know.it.all

My bad.

True. But we still need to teach our children to have a sense of humor. Not at the expense of others, but at life itself. Or else we won't be able to laugh at ourselves as a people.

Also a friend reminded me of something.

There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My cousin has a form of mental disability. I'm not sure what exactly, I don't see that distant part of my family much. His father is a... here goes! teacher, preacher, rock guitarist (NOT Christian Rock), father, pro mountain climber, headmaster, judge and a few other things. He's like Superman or something. His mother is a headmistress too. He couldn't have been born with better parents really.
    When I was a kid, you know like reaaally young, I used to joke about him to my parents. But I soon became really conscious about him. I felt sorry.
    This college I go to is very open to disabled folk. There's a building next to ours where they have their courses. All with accessibility stuff and that. It's brilliant how they're the only college in the area that actually cater to the mentally and physically challenged. No wonder they got a Beacon award.

17. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I have worked extensively with people with physical handicaps as well as mental challenges. It was a volunteer program for handicapped skiing. While I am not particularly bothered by people saying things like "retarded." I don't like it, but in most cases I probably won't say anything. Frankly it is not directly intended to make fun of people with a retardation most of the time. But I think people should not use these terms simply because it offends others. You never know who is going to overhear, and many find it extremely offensive (which is understandable). You wouldn't go around flicking everyone off just because it didn't offend you, right? Between you and your friends, though, that's none of my business, but its rude in public regardless of your opinions.

I know I used "you" above, but its because I'm a poor writer, not because it was directed at anyone. I know it has come up here before.

I definitely agree that the key is awareness. If anyone gets the chance to spend time with those with mental challenges, I strongly encourage you to take it up. It will make you a more aware, worldly person. I have learned that you don't need to "baby" these people. In fact, they should be treated normally in most cases. It's just about spending time and getting to know people with differences.

Patmian212, I would look into volunteer programs in your area if you want to learn more or become more comfortable, but of course, it is completely up to you.

18. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I actually use to FEAR people with mental/physical handicaps, in some way. I think this is due to the fact that it was completely unknown to me how that kind of stuff happens...etc.

When I turned 17, a girlfriend got me a job as a camp counseler for mentally/physically handicapped, and special needs children. It changed my life forever! Now, as a teacher candidate wrapping up my degree in education, I have LOTS of experience with special needs children in schools. They are absolutely wonderful, and in some instances it jerks at my heart when I wonder what God's plan is for these special people.

Needless to say, I am infuriated when people look down on them. They're human beings, just like us..remember that.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I suppose, but why do our parents not teach us to understand the situation? I don't know if it goes along racial lines but I've found a great many things that American Caucasians do not discuss, this being one of them. I've never found the situation with other groups but maybe it's just me.

As an aside, the people in the town with the department store put a girl into speech rehabilitation because they thought that she had a speech defect. Her mum was English. :eek:

20. bphutt macrumors newbie

Appalling

I was appalled while listening to the guy on ourprisoner.com when he said all fetus's known before birth to be mentally challenged or as he said 'retarded' should be aborted so they are not a burden or financial strain on society. This coming from the mouth of a 35 yr old man who has always lived with parents and never held down a job. He ranted on the homeless too but the mentally challenged being killed just set me over the edge.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I see the mentally disabled every single day, because we have to draw them for their lithium/depakote(valporic acid)/tegretol and other odd medicines.

22. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

My mom was a special education teacher for moderate/severely mentally retarded students for 21 years, so because I'm so accustomed to being around people who are a bit different, I never maade fun of them. I think I understand a lot better than most people. It makes me cringe when ppeople say "that's retarded". The saddest stories however are the kids who were born like you and me and they were abused as infants and now they are mentally handicapped. My dad also works with mentally retarded adults. So I have a lot of exposure to that sort of thing. They are people just like us, and there are few things that make me more mad than someone making fun of them.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think he is a jerk.. sounds a but nazi like also.

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    To many Pro-lifers people like this are the heart and soul of the Pro-choice crowd...

25. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

...never knew a person with manic-depressive disorder was considered "mentally challenged" :confused:

Appalling as it may be, don't be surprised if you see this or variations of it in the future. It won't be surpising at all to see fetus corrections being made, or a bad fetus being rejected.

For good or ill, over-population and financial burdens are real problems - what the solution is is unknown, but it does need to be considered...

While it may be "sad", consider the lives of those who are disabled and those around them. There are some heart-warming stories and few parents of disabled children would want things differently, but the second you could give them the choice BEFORE birth, and I think the number of decisions favoring an abortion might surprise you.