Menu Bar Customization?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chopsuey158, May 22, 2006.

1. chopsuey158 macrumors member

Is there a way to change what is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar? Specifically the order it is displayed? I have several things that were added on, not part of the OS. Can I change the order these are displayed? For example can I put the iChat menu item to the farthest right and have the clock be to the left of it?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hold down "command" and drag the icons around. You can't move everything, but a good portion of them are movable.

3. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

way cool
    btw- u can also 'remove' them by dragging them (w/ command held down) and drag them off the menu bar- they go 'poof' w/ the same graphic that ur dock has-

way cool

(now if i can just remember how to get the sound one back.... hmmm - open sound pref.... ok here we go)

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can also add some other ones by going to System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras. Double click on some of those to add them to the menu bar. Not all of them work like that (they require other methods of implementation), but it's a quick way to see what's available.

5. chopsuey158 thread starter macrumors member

That is very cool, unfortunately it only works for the system menu items and not those added by other programs. Still nice to know though. Thanks!

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

You've got to have the system ones first (to the right).
    If you want to change the others (third party) go Sys Prefs-Users-Start Up Items, and then change the order of those apps, putting the apps that you want on the right at the top.

Or you could create an Automator script to do this.

::20ROGERSC::