Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
hello,

when i open any application, the menubar at the top (file/edit/view...) disappears. don't know why... i mean, it's still there, just not visible.

help:confused:

thanks in advance

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
im sorry,

i took the screenshot...( i think) but how do i post it, or send it to you.

diyam..im a noob

thanks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
here is a shot of the program ableton live, though it happens in safar etc...
it's not that it's invisible, but just not shown, i can still access the menu bar if i hover the pointer near the top and then click...

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 477

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
808 said:
it's not that it's invisible, but just not shown, i can still access the menu bar if i hover the pointer near the top and then click...
Does it persist after restart? I've had a few programs stuff up my menu bar in the past but it's usually reversible on reboot.

(probably a good idea to turn off any programs (if any) you've got scheduled to auto start on boot up).

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
That's really weird. Now, does the menu bar appear when you bring you cursor to the top, a little like how the dock acts? Or do you just click blindly hoping you'll hit what you want?

I don't know what to say. Try repairing permissions (open Disk Utility in Utilities in Applications).

Sorry I can't help more! :eek:

EDIT: Or what .Andy said. ^^^^

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
lost angeles
heres a shot when i move the pointer and click where the menubar would be.
it reappears when i "expose" out of the application and into the desktop. it doesnt seem to fix itself after reboot. i'll try running the utility and keep you posted...

do you also see how in the top right, where the icons are, there are holes, or leaks...can't really describe it, but it doesn't look right.

don't know what's going on...

thanks for the help though.
:cool:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 424

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Definitely repair permissions, as Flying Llama said. It doesn't look like it, but do you have any theme changers installed? If so, remove them. If these don't work, then I guess we start removing permission files (com.apple.finder.plist maybe).

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I sometimes get this effect, particularly the 'holes' & 'leaks' you describe, if I am using a Classic application and switch to an OSX app with Cmd-Tab - the menu bar disappears until I make Finder active. Are you running Classic?

Also, in the second screenshot, it looks like the menu bar is there, but off the top of the screen - you can see the bottom of the Apple logo, and the bottom of the highlighted menu item. Could this be a resolution/screen size issue?

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
from the second pic it looks like the image for the menu bar is like 10 pixel higher then it should becuase the other icons are still in postion

DJ Blizzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018

Same thing happened to me, thats what led me to this forum. Since no one has answered it, here ya go.....

At the very Bottom Right Corner of the Ableton window there is a little yellow arrow/triangle looking thing (it's tiny)... I clicked it and got my File, Edit, create, View, Options, and Help at the top. Hope this works for you too!

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I have mine set up like this all the time. It's in Settings-General - "Automatically hide and show the menu bar".
Or is this not what you're talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.