Menu Bar Icons gone under 10.4.4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by B@SS_SHOCK, Jan 18, 2006.

1. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

Basically for what I did have up which was Date & Time, Displays, Character Input and even Spotlight are now somehow gone under installation of 10.4.4 on a 700Mhz eMac. The only thing left is Quicksilver. This is the first conundrum I have failed to solve myself, any takers?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The Norwegian wizard has done it again ... no surprise there.

4. B@SS_SHOCK thread starter macrumors member

Blotty hell it didn't work, but thanks for the zippy reply. I'll try some other things but worse comes to worse I'll do a fresh restore and go to 10.4.4 from there. No way I'm using laggy Dashboard as my time!

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I know it's slightly annoying, but can't you put them back manually. Just open System Preferences and find the preference to turn on each icon. For example, to turn the clock on, go to system preferences -> Date and Time -> Clock tab -> Show date and time.

6. B@SS_SHOCK thread starter macrumors member

Oh I know that, but when doing so they don't pop up again.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... a little mystery, this one...

You could try deleting /Users/yourmainuser/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.xxxxxxxxx.plist and then immediately log out, or even more preferably be logged in as another admin when deleting it**. That pref files says which menu items that should not be loaded, and may be corrupt.

** Speaking of which: Have you tried logging in as another user (make another account in necessary)? Does the problem persist then?

8. B@SS_SHOCK thread starter macrumors member

No such file in the ByHost, only a com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plist one.

9. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

this has happened to me in the past when the systemuiserver hangs. I quit the process from Activity Monitor and restart. Although restarting would presumably do the trick. That said, I imagine you've tried that.