Menu bar icon's missing and more!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joshysquashy, Mar 2, 2006.

1. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I have recently installed the updates to Tiger, but only today noticed that all my menu bar icons have gone (including the clock and spotlight button) and I can't get them back. Also when I plug in my camera, iPhoto does not open, nor does it show up when I open it. Also DVD's no longer auto play, though they mount on the desktop.

In system preferences I have tried turning off and on all these settings. I have done a Disk Permissions Repair. Nothing has helped.

I have a backup to restore to but would rather fix the problem if possible.

Any ideas? Anyone had the same experience?

2. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. jelloshotgun macrumors newbie

Do you have the front-row hack? I experienced this on my PB with front row, and updating to 10.4.5 caused this. Eventually, a simple reinstall of the front row hack fixed it (though for some reason that was definitely not the first thing I tried )

4. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That fixed it! Weird thing now is that the menu icons dissapear temporarily everytime I press apple-esc now!? Doesnt bother me to much.

Thanks so much

5. jelloshotgun macrumors newbie

No problem :)

I haven't noticed that icon-disappearing thing, but I've also mapped my Front Row key to F10 (and consequently remapped Expose elsewhere, but that's another story). I doubt that changing it from apple-esc would do anything, but you certainly can try :)

6. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to get rid of the "Front Row" shortcut options in System Preferences? I deleted frontrow.app and I deleted a plist file for front row as well. I just don't want it to show in System Preferences or in the Sound pane...any suggestions??