Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM AMG

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jun 3, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Now if this isn't totally rude I don't know what is. :eek:

Mercedes have released a road going version (that's a loose term me thinks :eek: ) of their DTM CLK. :D

Now look at the stats...

582hp V8
    0-60 3.9 seconds
    199 MPH (limited, 'cos Merc don't want it to burn off the mucho bloat of the McMerc SLR).

True it's going to be limited to only 100 models, but really... it's one hell of a kick in the nuts for the M3 owner isn't it.... :eek: :p :p

Vroom... Vroom! :D

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/NewsID/2040503.002/mercedes/1.html

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

geez i'll have to tell my boss its time to upgrade his SL 500 ...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

nice!

but you know, since this whole oil price thing has been going on and it looks as if prices won't be going back down - it brings to question the need for cars like these....I wonder how long its going to be before gas gets pricey enough and rationed so that hybrid or hopefully fuel cell cars are all that you really see and just like in Road Warrior, cars like these will be relics and the 'last of the V8s' :D

D

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

MB CLK DTM AMG vs. BMW M3 GTR :D

5. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Just another overpriced german supercar that can be outperformed by something probably half its price.

Attached Files:

6. legion macrumors 6502a

Anyone remember the MB CLK-GTR? A friend considered buying one so MB took us on a private tour (offers to buy and inspect were by invitation only-- in essence you had to have bought a ton of MBs in the past to get on the list.) It looked cool and it was a fun spin around LA--though not suited for our roads much because the GTR was a street legal modified LeMans car for all intents and purposes so you were very low to the ground. He ended up passing.

Of course, later that year on the circuit, the CLK-GTR was plagued with some very serious problems.

My current boss is buying (just waiting for delivery now) the MB SLR. I can't wait for it to come in.

My personal favourite is the MB 500E. It was built by Porsche for MB and was quite a car. My parents bought one when I was a kid and due to racing regulations, MB had to sell a certain amount with the full racing kit in order to race in the class they wanted. The way MB did this was they included the whole racing package (all the outer aerodynamic hardwares, engine mod equipment) in the trunk of certain models and put the wheels and such on the model itself. I remember my dad opening the trunk of our brand new MB when we first got it and asked the dealer what was all the stuff in there because he needed the trunk space. It took me about five-seconds to realize what it was and jump in and explain. I couldn't have been more excited.

Of course, in LeMans today, nothing beats Audi in sheer engineering.

Pics of the CLK-GTR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Sadly, there are no plans to sell the CLK DTM here in the States.

9. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

and there's only one clear winner... ;)

more interestingly is that I was reading Autocar that Mitsubishi are releasing a 400BHP Lancer Evolution 8 and Mitsubishi UK might be tempted to release a 500BHP model as well (but price is putting them off at £50k), now a 320BHP Lancer 8 can pull a 4.2 o 60, so heaven only knows what a Yoko spec'd 500BHP model will pull. :D

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

whh... woo... whoooaaahhh!! :eek: :D

nice!

well, i hope Top Gear gets it's hands on one of those cars soon... ;)

but it does look kind of ugly... i mean i love the looks of the SLR, this doesn't even compete with that, in my opinion...

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I used to like Mercedes until I was in Germany and saw them used as Taxis.

In a nutshell, they are just a reliable maintainable car.

Sushi

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Vector Cars

There was a time in my life when I was ready to put my hard earned money down on one of the Vector cars.

Attached Files:

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice stats! :D

How about these for the Vector WX3?

1,000hp Twin-Turbo V8
    0-60 3.3 seconds
    220 MPH

:D :D :D

Sushi

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm bet you're glad you didn't now... :p I remember reading reviews in the UK about one of the Vektor models, and it got totally and utterly shreaded by the reviewer as being quite possibly the worst supercar ever made. I also remember that many a reviewer couldn't get anywhere near the same levels of performance as the factory quotes. :eek:

1000BHP is a pretty amazing output though, the much vaunted Veyron is supposed to scrape that, but until Bugatti can actually make the thing A. stable at high speeds, B. Actually handle and go round corners, C. Actually just make the thing... :rolleyes: then the current production daddy is the Enzo and even then a Radical SR3 is likely still faster around the 'Ring than that :eek:

I'm hoping Top Gear manage to get their mitts on an Enzo in the hands of the 'Stig' to see what it can do around the TG Test Circuit, the Porsche Carrera GT is currently the fastest car they've figured, a tad faster than the bloated McMerc SLR, so I'm reckoning the Enzo should be about a second a lap quicker, if not more purely on the strength of it been lighter, more accelerative, easier to handle and better braking. :eek: :D

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Beautiful car! Pity it won't be available in the states.

I'll take a German(preferred) or Japanese car over an American car any day of the week.

I prefer the styling, and most of all the quality.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I really liked the aviation touch/flavor of the car from a pilot's perspective. And the power output was pretty awesome.

At the time, it was going to cost me about $274 grand. A lot of scratch for a car that you don't use everyday.

It's funny, I had dreamed of the car for a long time during it's development. When I finally could afford one, it lost a bit of it's apeal for some reason.

Then again, I liked the Delorean as well! :eek: Really glad that I didn't buy one of those when they were new.

Now, I just buy a decent used car and drive it until it falls apart! The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about dents, nicks, etc., like you would a car like the Vector or other similar car. :D

Sushi

17. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Then you haven't heard of a Saleen S7 ;)

Give me one of these over that Mercedes any day :cool: (although the Saleen may cost more)

575 bhp @ 5500 rpm
    570 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm

0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds
    0-100 mph in 6.5 seconds
    1/4 mile in 10.8 seconds @ 131 mph
    top speed -- mph (220+ mph)

:D

[​IMG]

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Very nice! :D

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you can afford to buy a car like this yer not hurting for $$$. Paying for gas is a nonissue. And, really, there is no *need* for cars like these. They are toys for the big boys w/lots of disposible<sp?> income.

Lethal

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

He He! :D

Sushi