Mercenaries having their comback..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Apr 29, 2006.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i just a report on the german/austrian/swiss 3sat channel 2 days ago about the current state of mercenaries and i have to admit that the report was quite frightening

especially the part about that in iraq they are second biggest contingent of troops with 30k... and according to journalists who researched it there some have no intention to bring this conflict and difficult situation to an end

after all they are earning their money as long as the conflict takes
    stuff like raiding houses randomly or even troops who beat up people randomly are no isolates cases ... and nearly all are going around uncontrolled etc.

(and in africa some companies like Shell have their own private armies of 10k men )

the war in iraq proved to be so profitable to such US mercenary companies that they are opening their bureaus /daughter companies all over europe to hire former european soldiers etc.

does mean we are going back to nearly medieval times ? i mean that's hardly something which should be considered a goal or worth achieving

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This issue really bothers me. The mercenaries like Blackwater are not held responsible for their actions in any way. They're above the laws of both Iraq and the US and that is simply wrong.

What really gets me is the fact that a lot of these firms have access to information that could increase their own profits yet be contradictory to US aims abroad. At what point will they have so much information that they actually start dictating US military policy?

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They already are: look what happened in Fallujah.