Merchandise return

Discussion in 'Games' started by Oofie, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Oofie macrumors regular

I have a question for you guys.

I ordered an xbox 360 from overstock.com and it will be shipped in 1-2 weeks. Then today, I saw a good deal from target, so I got another xbox from them. Here's the thing, if I return the xbox 360 to overstock.com, they will charge me for shipping and restocking fee. I can also just wait for the xbox 360 from overstock and not open the one from target. Can I return the xbox 360 from overstock.com to Target?

Please, no one flame me, Im just asking if its possible and legal. Of course, I wont do it if its illegal or wrong.

Thanks guys!

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

It depends if the reciept from target has the xbox360 serial numbers on it and then depends on how cool the customer service desk staff is that day

3. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

Sorry, but chances are they'll both have records of the serial numbers.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

open the boxes and switch them out? I assume the SN is a sticker showing thru a hole in the box?

nothing wrong with returning something in this fashion, since its not broken.

so what if you switched packaging, does that REALLY matter?

5. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I could do this, but once I open the boxes, I cant return them for full refunds...Oh well, I guess I have to wait a few more days before I can have an xbox 360...:confused:

On another point, its so hard to have an xbox 360 in front of you and you know you couldnt open it:mad:

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you cant open the box for a full refund?

since when does target care if its been opened.

all they want is A reciept and all the parts.

7. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure, but it does say on the receipt that I cant return opened items from music, video games, etc. But I guess I can open the box but not use the console?

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

nnononononoon

you dont return stuff often do you? :rolleyes:

what they are talking about is opened video games, DVDs and music.

with those, you could open it, copy/install, and return. so of course, they thought of that years ago and made it so its 99% of the time IMPOSSIBLE to return opened media.

When it comes to ANYTHING else (unless noted on a reciept, like at bestbuy with computers, radar detectors etc) its at their discretion really whether to take it back. And if it still works and is 100% complete, they cant say no. you have a reciept!

And with a place like Target, as long as all parts neccessary (sometimes a missing manual can make or break a return) are within, you can return anything you like.

Im not being speculative either. Unless it says VIDEO GAME CONSOLES or electronics period are NOT returnable open, feel free to open, use and even within reason beat up a newly bought piece of electronics, and then box it back up and return it.

The reciept should have the serial # of the XBOX on it directly. And you shouldnt have any problem just switching the XBOXes themselves between boxes (dont even worry about anything but the console itself, no need to switch the cords and controller) so that your Target receipt matches the one in the box.

9. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yeah, i dont return stuff that much. Well, i have to check their return policy. One thing im sure, it doesnt say on the receipt the serial number of the xbox. It just has a sequence of numbers that i think target uses. So i guess im safe with just switching them out?

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

make sure the SN doesnt match ANY numbers on the reciept before you think its not on there somehow.

the XBOX bought from target needs to be returned to Target, but not neccessarily in the same physical box you got it in.

11. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

No, Target has a very sophisticated inventory system. They will know that this Xbox was not a part of their inventory. You'll end up looking dumb or possible arrested.

I have seen this first hand. While I was returning a movie in line at target, this guy in front of me was trying to return a 5G iPod. He claimed he didn't have a receipt and they scanned the box and they knew it wasn't a part of their inventory. They gave it back to him and he just stood there looking foolish. They said something like if you try that again we'll call the police.

12. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Woah! Im not trying to get arrested here! Hehe. Thanks for the heads up, but i think ill use it then *probably* return it. I checked the return policy and it didnt say anything about consoles, only video games and portable electronics. Thanks again!

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Wow NeoMac, take a chill pill.

There is no way youd be arrested for returning a WORKING and 100% complete video game console.

Dont sweat it my friend, you are doing NOTHING wrong.

Open the XBOX you got. Use it, have fun. Dont feel it should stay there and mock you.

When the other one from Overstock arrives, open it and KEEP it.

Box the Target XBOX back up, and return it.

You bought something, used it, didnt want it. There is NOTHING ILLEGAL about that.

14. Oofie thread starter macrumors regular

Hehe. Thanks man! Yep, im gonna open it up later and have fun! I read the return policy several times to make sure i can return it. Thanks agaim man!

15. coal macrumors regular

coal

How did Overstock ship the Xbox 360 to you? If it has a signature requirement (and it should) then refuse delivery. They'll refund everything else you dispute it with your card company.

16. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Sorry If I came off strong, I'm just trying to help. Funny thing is I am one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet.

17. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

just dont want anyone to think that trying to return merchandise can get you arrested.

ive seen ALOT of people try to return PS2s, probably from bad mod attempts, and the reciept doesnt match the SN on the machine itself.

They just politely say they wont take it back, if you complain, they might call the cops to get you to leave, but its not illegal unless you come out and say you are attempting fraud.

Its a grey area really. Until you actually HAVE "stolen" something, you cant get in trouble.

Stolen in this case being, say, switching a broken XBOX you own for a working one and returning the broken one.

if they accept the return, not your problem. If they dont, you just have to leave.

To the OP, this doesnt matter because both XBOXs work and will come complete.