Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper Dies at 77

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Oct 5, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to his family and friends. May he rest in peace. I was surprised to learn that there are now only 3 of the original three left. We are loosing them just like the "Greatest Generation." I remember watching all of the Mercury live on the TV at my elementary school. He and his fellow astronauts made us proud.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Surprised there isnt more posts. Cooper was cool. I wonder how many know that he testified before congress on the fact that there are craft flying around our airspace made of unkown composition and with unknown intent. Seem in his days before Mercury he was a test pilot with a film crew who got one(ufo) on tape landing and taking off just before he was to fly in a experimental plane. so him and his film crew were witness. Film went to the pentagon never to be seen again. he went on to the Mercury Space Program. he made us proud unlike our Govt. He will be missed.

5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Yep, Gordo was a cool dude. I think most of those Mercury guys had to be cool and laid-back to strap themselves to a friggin' missile and go into orbit for the first few times for humans. :cool: I have a lot of respect for those unknown test pilots and astronauts who literally strapped themselves to rocket powered bombs and pushed science and aviation to the limits out over the remote deserts of California and the western U.S.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The movie "The Right Stuff" is pretty good.

The book (same title) by Tom Wolf is even better. Definitely recommend reading the book especially if you liked the movie.

Sushi

7. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly the space program just doesn't hold the interest that it did especially during the Mercury and Apollo programs. Hopefully SpaceShip One will reinvigorate interest in space.

8. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I own both the book and the movie. :D

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true!

My wife and I just watched "The Dish" last night. It was fun to take a trip down memory lane. I remember sitting and watching the Apollo space flights just like they showed in the movie.

These 7 Mercury astronauts were America's first entry into the space race. Surprised this thread has not generated more interest.

The space program research pushes the envelope which benifits so many with the spin offs products that are introduced to the consumer market. Sure wish we still had the same level of emphasis like we did back then.

A sign of the times I guess.

Sushi

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Completely agree. I think that with the sheer number of Shuttle flights (despite 2 accidents), people tend to think of space travel as "routine," which is far from the truth. Back in the days of Mercury and Apollo, it truly was a new and exciting time, and we were battling the Soviets for "space superiority," whereas now there is not that same patriotic bent.

Perhaps with SpaceShip One and other similar projects, as space travel becomes more one of "first commercial flights" and such, we will see more interest. I can't wait.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Spaceship One is more like the Wright Flyer at the turn of the century....there is a ton more that needs to be worked out. The Golden Age of Space flight has passed - ended with Apollo.

Gordon Cooper was lucky enough to see it all begin and he left a great legacy. I just hope that frequent space travel will arrive in my life time - I'm sure he expected it to be a little farther along by the turn of the millennium.

D

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

So true - think of the accomplishments we achieved. Sure, now we send astronauts to space, but it's just earth orbit. Back then we were sending them 250,000 miles to the moon, landing, taking off, and traveling 250,000 miles back.

Edit: <Hey, why cause trouble, right?, post here or here.> :D

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No! Don't start that up again.....

I do not like it when that topic gets going - we've had plenty of threads on the Moon Hoax before - if anyone wants to discuss that, resurrect the thread and post there

D

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

I wasn't being serious! But I did edit my post to reflect the proper threads just for you...

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

no worries, its just that I've seen that discussion degenerate with any mention of it....sort of trying to keep things from even starting.

D

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Your point is well taken.

I remember seeing the Wright brother's flight superimposed on the silhouette of a 747 wing. The wingspan of a 747 is wider than the length of the Wright brother's first flight at Kitty Hawk. Pretty incredible how far we've come in a short time.

My uncle that I grew up with felt that he lived during the best time in history. He started out with the horse and buggy and lived to see man walk on the moon. When you think about it, it will be a long time before we see as dramatic of a change.

I would imagine that we will see space travel before the turn of the next century. By this I mean routine travel to places like space stations, the moon, and who knows, maybe farther. The key will be the propulsion systems. Current ones are too costly and take to many resources to be effective for long distance travel.

As for a short blast up into space and return, my guess is that it will happen before we know it. Although, cost wise, for the common man it will still be a while.

Sushi

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's exactly it. I think fusion will be the first big step there and we'll be lucky to see that any time soon. At the right speeds, you can collect enough fuel - interstellar hydrogen - to power your ship. So you're not dependent on hauling all the fuel with you....

D

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That reminds me of the SR-71.

At cruise speed, the intakes provide 80% of the thrust. The engines themselves provide the other 20%

Sushi

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

20. emw macrumors G4

emw